• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 1.6 or 2.1?

Kotori-kun

So I've read quite a number of posts where people said they have a lot of problems when they upgraded to 2.1 and that they didn't have problems when they had 1.6.

Now I'm really debating on whether or not I should get 2.1. I'm fine with 1.6 and how my phone is right now, but I think upgrading would be nice.

Is rooting to 2.1 worth it even with the other problems/cons that you've experienced? Is there anyone who hasn't had any problems? lol. Thank you very much in advanced!

EDIT: Changed the Thread title and edited the initial post. Thanks to xlomo & iRhyiku!

It's not a matter from where you install the apps, but instead where the application files are stored after installation.
The internal storage of gt540 is 140MB and most of it is occupied by Android files, so you can use the remaining storage to install other applications, unless you have android 2.2, in that case you have the option to install some applications to the sd card and therefore have more applications installed.
But you must know that android 2.2 is not official in gt540, and the available 2.2 roms are hacked versions. In order to flash your phone with them you'll need third party software and you will void your phone's guaranty, so before you take that step make sure that you really need this feature.

My experience, going from 1.6 to 2.1:

1). 2.1 is noticeably slower.
2). 2.1 Does not boot properly. Takes 1.5 minutes and does not show any splash screens when booting.
3). 2.1 supports various applications and games which 1.6 did not.

In the end I regret going from 1.6 to 2.1. It was not worth it imo. Nobody has a fix for my booting problem. And I've tried all.

Well not going with the topic I advice 2.2
you can overclock it slightly to make it fasterI find it supports more apps (like droidwall)
Only problem is that it has crashed once while i was on YouTube.
also takes a while to start up when switched off.

I upgraded my gf's gt540 from 1.6 to 2.1 and it works perfectly. she now has live wallpapers, and more app compatibility, she get's the android splash screen when loading the phone up, I would say it's worth it myself.

Well not going with the topic I advice 2.2
you can overclock it slightly to make it fasterI find it supports more apps (like droidwall)
Only problem is that it has crashed once while i was on YouTube.
also takes a while to start up when switched off.

I am guessing that 2.2 on yours isn't an official release right?

I have Android 2.1 from the Baltic klb on my unlocked phone in the US and it works perfectly :) It's fast, and also the boot screen works fine for me. It doesn't support saving apps to sd card and App2SD doesn't work for me for whatever reason, however Link2SD works perfectly for me and honestly I'd prefer Link2SD because than you can choose what to put on SD and what not to.

Back
Top Bottom