• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [1st Gen] can i get Kindle Launcher on ICS?

nickdalzell

Extreme Android User
i have a Android ICS ROM waiting on my laptop just itching to be flashed to my rooted fire (currently running stock Gingerbread and GO Launcher) but i also prefer my other launcher when it comes to books and certain apps. it's handy and reminds me of the comfortable menu layout of my Xbox 360 (categories up top, blades on bottom) and i would hate to lose that. i heard the kindle 'App' for other versions is inferior and i do not want to lose all of that or worse, have no away to get it back (running from a backup would defeat putting ICS on in the first place). so...is there any means to restore the launcher app from a backup without overwriting a new flash of ICS? thanks!

Short answer is that no, the stock setup where you swipe through books is not available on ICS or JB. I think the Kindle app is pretty much just as good on ICS and JB. Certainly does everything I need it to. If it's scaled back at all, it's certainly nothing I miss. I didn't even use the KF that much with the stock software. You can still change background, spacing, font sizes, brightness etc, so it's pretty much full featured. You just can't swipe through books like you can with the stock setup. You gain far more than you lose.

If you're interested, there is a rom (Modaco?) that has the stock KF launcher with Google Play capabilities built on, so you can kind of have the best of both worlds, but again, that's for GB only.

i think i'll hold off on the ROM for a bit and keep what works for now. at least i'm rooted and got Play store, and a nifty launcher to use as default while maintaining the carousel launcher that i prefer when it comes to reading e-books.

IMHO once you flash JB or ICS onto your kindle, you'll never want to go back to the stock kindle launcher. Admittedly, the setup is great for books, but that's about the only thing I liked about it.

Back
Top Bottom