• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

2.1 and the Hero's ability to cope

Nope - not the same. It's way more than just satellite views. Check this out: Google Earth

If you have the time (and the space), download Google Earth for your home computer, and look at some of the .kmz files that others have made: Google Earth Gallery

There are Android apps where you can log your tracks and then upload your own .kmz files to share.

More here:
Introduction - Google Earth User Guide

Google Earth Cool Places - Weird, famous and beautiful placemarks
Well i wasnt sure how different it was, but the features that i use at home on google earth seem to be the same as on my phone...which is all i need.

Upvote 0
I don't really see the hero handling 2.1 without some serious overhauling. I think a lot of things that 2.1 will have on phones like the droid will be left out on the hero. I think the phone can handle the software but lag might be intense on certain things. This is just a guess but I think it will vary on the hero specifically because of sense

Just for fun I loaded the 2.1 beta eclair from XDA today. I played with it for about 20 minutes and restored my nandroid backup. Its just as fast as 1.5 is. It may get tricked out from HTC/Sprint but I don't think it needs it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones