• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2.2 is killing my battery, & its not a known issue, Now what!?

gme109

Android Enthusiast
I can't use the phone in a normal business day, with the crippled battery life I'm experiencing after updating to 2.2. And this is the same problem I had when Sprint released 2.2 the first time, which forced me to swap the phone out for a refurb with 2.1 on it. Now here I am again...*&%%^^**!!
Apparently this isn't affecting everyone, so what is it that is different on some phones, that is causing the battery to drain so fast after updating to 2.2? And has anyone figured out a fix for it?

It's effecting me too. It was 3:30 and my battery was at 39%. :( Took the charger off at 10am. This is terrible. :( I love this phone. I would hate to have to give it up. "/

I can't use the phone in a normal business day, with the crippled battery life I'm experiencing after updating to 2.2. And this is the same problem I had when Sprint released 2.2 the first time, which forced me to swap the phone out for a refurb with 2.1 on it. Now here I am again...*&%%^^**!!
Apparently this isn't affecting everyone, so what is it that is different on some phones, that is causing the battery to drain so fast after updating to 2.2? And has anyone figured out a fix for it?

stock 2.2 destroyed my battery, i dont know why. I get at least double if not more rooted. I thought sprint ID had some clean id setting so you had better battery life? (2.2.1). I haven't tried 2.2.1 on stock yet

I'm having the same issue as well. Whats up with this?? Seems to be a common issue. Was having decent battery life with 2.1, using ATK and JuiceDefender, now with 2.2 using the same programs, terrible batt life. Any word on a fix for this?

I'm having the same issue as well. Whats up with this?? Seems to be a common issue. Was having decent battery life with 2.1, using ATK and JuiceDefender, now with 2.2 using the same programs, terrible batt life. Any word on a fix for this?

Like I said, the pinheads at Sprint a totally unaware of this issue. Way to go Samsung / Spint.

stock 2.2 destroyed my battery, i dont know why. I get at least double if not more rooted. I thought sprint ID had some clean id setting so you had better battery life? (2.2.1). I haven't tried 2.2.1 on stock yet

Actually I meant to say, 2.2.1 is killing my battery.

Like I said, the pinheads at Sprint a totally unaware of this issue. Way to go Samsung / Spint.

Dunno man, every build that comes out theres always a battery drain or battery increase thread lol, u sure its not the placebo effect cause you're using it more? i'm still getting thru an 8 hour day with 50% left

Dunno man, every build that comes out theres always a battery drain or battery increase thread lol, u sure its not the placebo effect cause you're using it more? i'm still getting thru an 8 hour day with 50% left

Plus anytime you flash a new rom/kernel, doesnt matter stock or rooted, the battery stats can get messed up and the battery probably should be recalibrated. And also it can take a day or two for it to "settle" in.

Plus anytime you flash a new rom/kernel, doesnt matter stock or rooted, the battery stats can get messed up and the battery probably should be recalibrated. And also it can take a day or two for it to "settle" in.

Correct. Us "pinheads" are unaware of the issue because there is no issue. If these Android updates were deployed correctly, meaning a hard reset involved, then non-pinheads like gme109 would not have issues.

After the first update to 2.2 my battery life went down hill. I have uninstalled apps trying to see if any were the cause, but none were.

Recently I found a cure for my phone.

One day I decided to deactivate the data network mode by pressing and holding down the power key on the upper right side of the phone and tapping on "Data network mode". Then, I enabled my wifi since i'm almost always in range of a signal. I found by doing this the battery drain stopped INSTANTLY. Just the other day i went 38 hours without a charge. Just for kicks, I decided to reactivate the data...battery drained within hours.

Hope this helps someone. And I hope a real fix is out soon.

I've purposely used the phone less, to make sure it is not a placebo effect.

Correct. Us "pinheads" are unaware of the issue because there is no issue. If these Android updates were deployed correctly, meaning a hard reset involved, then non-pinheads like gme109 would not have issues.

I want to thank you sir, for making my point. Both Epic phones I mentioned, had hard resets involved.

Now remove your hard hat, and reveal your pointy head.

Well I first reported my battery life had gotten worse when I moved to 2.2 I left it in my truck for 12 hours and when I returned it was dead. That is me leaving it on without using it.
Last night I turned off Running Services like IQ Agent Service, Google messaging service, Make SimDB,Android Sprint extension, Make simDB service.
Left it on and in my truck for 12 hours and looked at my phone this morning and I have 90% battery left. So an app/services killer download is in the future for me once I verify that's the only issue causing the problem.........

I'm still getting the UNKNOWN ERROR when trying to update Firmware, Profile, PRL and Android.....

Sprint has once again stopped pushing 2.2.1 out to the Epic, until they resolve some of the known issues, like battery life, and speaker distortions. The weird thing is, its not affecting every Epic, but who knows why.

Sprint has once again stopped pushing 2.2.1 out to the Epic, until they resolve some of the known issues, like battery life, and speaker distortions. The weird thing is, its not affecting every Epic, but who knows why.

Where did you read or hear about them stopping the update?

it has nothing to do with Sprint. Google releases the 2.2 update. its up to Samsung to make it work with their device correctly. Blame samsung.

Where did you read or hear about them stopping the update?

I talked to someone in advance tech support on Sunday. They said they are now up to 20 known issues with Froyo, on the Epic. So they stopped pushing it out, again, and will release another update, when they've fixed the problems. They suggested I take my phone in, and have Sprint set it back to 2.1.

Actually I meant to say, 2.2.1 is killing my battery.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Sprint, Samsung, Google need to find a way for all the crap that runs in RUNNING SERVICES to have it turn off when NOT IN USE.
That in itself will increase most peoples battery use two fold.

I turned it all off manually and increased my battery life from 12 to 28-36 hours depending on useage.

I am having the same problem. I used to get through my work day on one battery, with average usage (and no task killer). Since the Update came through, I can only get through half the work day with "low usage"! It is draining without even using the phone. I never needed a task killer before, because I could get through the work day. Now I need to know... Will a task killer help me???

I think everyone has different usage patterns so a single answer will not work for everyone. But I can share what I did to fix my Froyo battery problem.

Short Answer: turn off WiFi when not in use

Long Answer:
After upgrading to Froyo, I noticed significant battery drain even when phone was idle. When I was on Eclaire, I left my WiFi on all the time and set Sleep Policy to Never, as that was the recommendation. And on Eclair, that worked beautifully.
After upgrading however, I tracked down my battery drain to WiFi. It would not turn off when phone was idle.

I used Juice Plotter and Spare Parts to narrow down my problem.

Way I tested is I charged until full then took it off the charger and went to sleep. With WiFi on, my phone drained from 98% about 70% in one night (typically 7 hours). One time, it even went down to 30% (don't know what happened that night). On Eclair, it would drain about 1% per hour, so I would see 90 or 92% overnight.
Now with WiFi off, I'm averaging about 1% drop every 2 hours on idle. I drop from about 98% to 93 or 94% overnight.

Funny thing is, my brother has an Epic, and on Froyo, his WiFi does not consume battery. So something is wrong my with phone, or with Froyo.

So same setup - but on Eclair WiFi is fine, and Froyo, WiFi is draining. To test this theory, I Odined back to Eclair and confirmed my hypothesis.

So now I turn off WiFi when not in use, or use Battery Booster to automatically turn off WiFi when phone locks. Yesterday, I went 30+ hours and still had about 25% left with low to moderate use.

Spare Parts is a great app, and that was what ultimately help me track down my battery drain. I encourage everyone to install that and see what is eating up your battery.

I can guarantee that my battery drain is not caused by WiFi, because I always have mine turned off. Yet my battery is still dying after 8 - 10 hours of very minimal use. I'm about to disable 4G to see if that helps the issue.

Froyo upgraded: Unplugged my phone at 11:30 am today. Sent 10 texts and had no other running programs. No phone calls or surfing. Got the battery low message at 4:30pm.

Had the DATA MODE activated. May have been the cause. My battery life has sucked since the update. I updated on a full battery, but may need to recalibrate. I'll let ya'll know if that fixes it.

can anyone answer this: WHAT IS DATA MODE for? With it DEactivated I can still surf and download apps.

Back
Top Bottom