• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 2.2 Upgrade - Battery life now 4hours

TimGuyUK

Well I went for 2.2 upgrade yesterday.

Did in place upgrade and all went well but the response was terrible.

The rear top right of the phone warmed up and battery life dived.

I uninstalled all the apps I could think of, thinking something had caused the problem but the rear of the phone still stayed extra hot.

Got to yesterday afternoon and the charger was actually only holding the battery drain at 50% and wouldn't charge the battery higher.

Did a phone reset last night. Loaded N2Manager SMS backup only to restore TXT. setup email (check every 30mins), turned off all location settings.

Unplugged my phone at 7am this morning. Made 3 VERY short calls. sent 20txt and battery has just warned of 15% at 10:50.

Im not sure theres much more I can do.

I ran advance task manager on it with 2.1 and although it wasnt great I could get 8 hours (just) out of it. I havent loaded advance task manager back on thinking it might be that but now the batterys finished in 4 hours Ill load it on and try. One intresting point that I found while doing a google is that with 2.2 maps keeps loading when it never did with 2.1 and Ive defo got all location options disabled.

Strangely rear of phone gets hot at weird times. Ive only narrowed it down to poor signal areas BUT it never did it on 2.1.

Any other ideas before I decided Ive got a working brick?

Tim

Root it and go CyanogenMod. This is the guide I used. http://androidforums.com/motorola-m...date-milestone-android-2-3-3-instruction.html Battery is decent to very good depending on which CM rom you use. I am currently on RC10 11.6.14 and it is very fast but I noticed a significant battery drop from RC9 11.6.7. so I might go back to it until the battery drain is fixed.

Cant turn down a recommendation from a fellow biker..

RC9 installed.. Just installing the apps and Ill let you know if it help.

Certainly appears faster at the moment.

Tim
Suzuki TL1000S

Nope.. From 70% to Plug your charger in within 2 hours running RC8

Unless Ive goosed my battery with the 2.2 upgrade burning it out or simpley the battery is faulty (coincidence but possible) this Milestone is looking goosed.

Gutted.. Should of stayed on 2.1

Tim

Kill your battery and then wait ten minutes past a full charge without turning your phone on a couple times so hopefully that helps. I was having battery issues with some of the CM's as well. Usually the first version of a new release candidate (RC). The first release of rc9 really hammered my phone then the next rc9 update really helped. RC10 is now only a little worse on the battery than the last RC9 for some reason (was initially quite a bit worse), still debating whether to go back to the second RC9 or not as RC10 seems a bit smoother and benchmarks better.

SWEET RIDE by the way!!! My first bike was almost the tl1000r but I figured a race twin litre bike was too much to go to for a first one so I went with a '98 gsxr 600, then a '98 r1 (loved that bike but got hit by a car and it was totalled), then an rc51 to replace the r1 (fantastic ride, stable as all could be), then traded the rc51 in for a smokin' brand new '04 zx10r (can't believe it has been 7 years and that bike still gives me shivers with all the power and handling) then I added the '06 monster s2r 1000 for a more relaxed ride. Needed something more comfy but still sporty.

Good luck with your phone, and if the battery is shot, they are pretty cheap online for a new one.

It works.. Good call.. Ran the battery right down last night to switch off.

I left work at 6pm with the battery on 50% and at a temp of 49c
Got home at 9pm and the phone died and switched off.

Left the battery out for 10 minutes and then started a mains (rather than USB) charge and left it all night (still switched on though)

Disconnected the charger at around 7am and at 5.30pm (now) its still on 50%

I must admit I went to town abit yesterday and downloaded CPU Master(free) by ANTuTu on the market and set the max processor speed to 400MHz with a fall back of 200MHz. I cant actually notice any performance decrease so I dont know if its actually running at 400Mhz or if processor performance is helping.

Love the new features like having the power widget on the desktop so I can turn 2G/3G on / off.

Even with Advance Task killer running on 2.1 I could never get the phone through to this time, let alone running with 50% left.

Well chuffed with 2.3. Its wicked.

Nice list of bikes there dude. Id love ago on an RC51. Much sort after bikes these days.
Ive got a Suzuki DR800 im trying to turn into a supermoto at the moment to slow me up abit. Got everything to do it now just not the cash (or the machining knowledge) to finish it. Ill get there.

VIVA Gingerbread!!

Tim

It works.. Good call.. Ran the battery right down last night to switch off.

I left work at 6pm with the battery on 50% and at a temp of 49c
Got home at 9pm and the phone died and switched off.

Left the battery out for 10 minutes and then started a mains (rather than USB) charge and left it all night (still switched on though)

Disconnected the charger at around 7am and at 5.30pm (now) its still on 50%

I must admit I went to town abit yesterday and downloaded CPU Master(free) by ANTuTu on the market and set the max processor speed to 400MHz with a fall back of 200MHz. I cant actually notice any performance decrease so I dont know if its actually running at 400Mhz or if processor performance is helping.

Love the new features like having the power widget on the desktop so I can turn 2G/3G on / off.

Even with Advance Task killer running on 2.1 I could never get the phone through to this time, let alone running with 50% left.

Well chuffed with 2.3. Its wicked.

Nice list of bikes there dude. Id love ago on an RC51. Much sort after bikes these days.
Ive got a Suzuki DR800 im trying to turn into a supermoto at the moment to slow me up abit. Got everything to do it now just not the cash (or the machining knowledge) to finish it. Ill get there.

VIVA Gingerbread!!

Tim

Best to use Milestone Overclok to set your CPU (at least you will be sure it's working :))

What you could do for your battery as well is to calibrate it. You can do that as follows: charge your battery until it's full, delete the file /Data/System/batterystats.bin, shut down your phone (still plugged in) and wait till the phone wakes up with the battery animation and shows 100%, while your charger is still plugged in remove the battery, you will get another battery animation with a '?', put your battery back in. Now it should be a 60%: just let it charge until it's at 100% and leave it 15 to 20 minutes (until battery has cool down) before restarting your phone.

Actually once the phone restarted i usually delete the batterystats.bin and restart the phone again (batterystats.bin is generated at the M-logo...)

Back
Top Bottom