• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help 4.2.2 bottom buttons order

I can't grarentee this will work for you because I'm using a rooted tab with cyanogen mod 10.1

Go to your settings, under the interface heading select; system, now on the right look for the navigation bar heading select; buttons and lay out. This allowed me to rearrange the buttons.

I'm curious let me know if it worked for you?

Upvote 0
I can't grarentee this will work for you because I'm using a rooted tab with cyanogen mod 10.1

Go to your settings, under the interface heading select; system, now on the right look for the navigation bar heading select; buttons and lay out. This allowed me to rearrange the buttons.

I'm curious let me know if it worked for you?

It must be a feature of your cyanogen mod 10.1 OS. Can't find any way to access layout changes.

What is needed is the ability to have right or left handed layouts as a user option. The new layout places the three lower buttons out of reach of both thumbs! They should be grouped together in "thumb reach" at left or right.

Does the cyanogen mod 10.1 OS allow this?

Upvote 0
I am right handed! Samsung aim to make it unsuitable for both of us.

It cannot be a big deal to make a right handed/left handed option available. On the Tab 2 this could be software configurable. On the Tab 3 it is part of the hardware - even dumber.

I used to like my Tab 2, this update has changed my opinion. Samsung have treated the tablet like a phone.

The old grouping was fine, why change it?

Upvote 0
Cyanogen mod allows this sort of. In the center you can have up to four buttons and a minimum of one (home). After the type and order is selected the buttons center themselves. There is also one button in each bottom corner. i think these could be perect for a lefty or righty. the only downide is a specific function can only be represented once. for example if the biottome left corner is the back button a lefty there can't also be a back button in the centere.

let me know if you have any other questions.

Reactions: mattgee
Upvote 0
Ok - So research has shown that almost 33% of single handed smart phone users use their left hand. Almost 15% of the population is left handed. WHY oh WHY hasn't the Android UI recognized this yet? On the IOS platform I just left behind, the biggest problem was that your photos and videos would be upside down. On Android it goes much further. Think of all the conveniences that have been put on the left side of the screen (for right hand holders) that need to be switched as part of the operating system - as a development variable or as a part of the UI.

This is really SHAMEFUL. What other minority of almost 15% would be ignored for so long? Those with sight impairment? Hearing disability? Racial? Why even treat left handed people (or operators) as even less than those with disabilities? Sorry I'm on a rant here, but left handed individuals have already learned to do many things in a right handed world, but there is NO excuse when it comes to the flexibility of software driven platforms. None! Get on it Android developers - let's have an Left-Right OS setting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones