• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

4G LTE on Virgin Mobile unlimited?

From what I've been reading...The "Network Update" that they are doing is going to include Data throttling of all speeds (3G, LTE, WiMax) at 2.5gb.

I'm probably resurrecting an old thread, but this fits. I used up my 2.5 GB soft cap with my Evo V, just yesterday I had switched to an Optimus F3. LTE seems to be working at full speed anyways. It's quite good. Wimax-y speeds though. Sprint's LTE is lacking the throughput but the pings are great and I can game on it just fine. Hour of battlefield 3 no hiccups, while streaming a video to my roku through amazon prime video. 4-8 mbits download, 2-4 upload, ~80-120 ms ping in games.

Oddly though, it WAS throttling me for a bit, but then it eventually just stops throttling. It's weird. Either way, the majority of my data has been uncapped through my new LTE connection. My area was just activated recently too. I've seen other people run tests on the same phone and get 30+ mbits. I hope I get that soon.

It's been unlimited until last month when I received a SMS from VM saying:

VMFreeMsg: Starting 5/6/14, if you use over 2.5GB of data during your mo. plan cycle, data speeds will now be reduced to 2G speeds. Info at http://msg4u.us/vnie

3/18/2014

It's been unlimited until last month when I received a SMS from VM saying:

VMFreeMsg: Starting 5/6/14, if you use over 2.5GB of data during your mo. plan cycle, data speeds will now be reduced to 2G speeds. Info at http://msg4u.us/vnie

3/18/2014

I got that too. 2g.... Ugh. That's 1x. The past few days I've been checking my data usage and virgin is keeping pretty accurate track of it now. Bummer. Virgin mobile minute checker app in the play store is very handy to have.

Yeah they track it pretty close. I've been throttled past 2 months. Most of the time it wasn't real slow but others it was horrible. Could definitely tell it was slower than 4g

Ive been throttled down to dial up internet speeds.. I cant even update an app.. I called Virgin Mobile and they gave me a 1 month free service. Before the throttle I tested 8mbps download + 2.5mbps upload and 112 ping in LOL on a California server. I got the message also saying I would be reduced to 2g speeds that = 256k.. But this throttle goes from 256k to 128k to 30k solid. Its pathetic. I live in the country and there is not enough traffic here compared to a big city to even consider throttling.

Yea I'm thinking of leaving Virgin mobile just for this 2G throttle thing they just did. When I first got the service 3 years ago they only monitored the 3G connection. Now I find myself getting real close to that 2.5g without even doing major downloads.

Back
Top Bottom