• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

5G Discussion & Explanation

Enjoyed the 5G vid. That was pretty much my take on it but it was good to hear it so clearly explained. I have not done the research but my electronic wizard buddy that has been my go to on all things tech is a bit concerned about the 5G wave length being a long term problem to humans too. He is a bit of an alarmist and I've not confirmed his fears. 20ghz is in the microwave range. We are already bombarded by satellite waves at that frequency so it's probably not a big deal and I don't think there is anything we can do about it anyway.... it does leave room for thought however.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200305-181819_Speedtest.jpg
    Screenshot_20200305-181819_Speedtest.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 410
Going to repost inline, lol

But yea, I saw the tower, but got notning standing below it. This was when I started walking away and was on next corner, nearly a city block away.

Screenshot_20200305-181819_Speedtest.jpg

As I understand, the coverage currently in Kansas is limited to the KC area. I haven't checked recently but I doubt it has expanded much if any beyond that metro area. I don't anticipate it coming to my small city any time soon but I live in a burb of Wichita. It is the largest city in Kansas I do expect to find some 5G in Wichita while I still own this phone. I sure hope I'm right. It would be fun to see those crazy numbers just once. :)

Here in the U.S. I'm not too expectant that 5G will have a major role in cellular service for quite a while. Our carriers just aren't focused on investing on the necessary infrastructure and the FCC is for the most part worthless now.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2020/...ut-americas-5g-is-so-bad-its-hard-to-see-why/

I don't disagree, and the prevailing theory is DO NOT buy a 5G phone just for 5G. But VZW seems to be doing a fair job with a bunch of areas: https://www.verizonwireless.com/5g/coverage-map/

I have decent coverage in downtown Cincinnati all things considered. But you know, it will never *replace* 4G like some mistaken think.

Sure, 5G is going to be a great thing for those who are lucky enough to live in a locale that's covered. I live in the suburbs just west of Chicago so cellular coverage is really good for all the major carriers in this area but at the same time I'm fully aware I live within a bubble of entitlement.

I thought 5G rolled out in Providence RI, USA?
Kinda worked if you were close enough.
BTW: I'm completely happy with 3G.
Yes, it rolled out in MANY cities. Around 30 just for VZW. ANd that is just it, you have to be VERY close to a 5G spot. Like feet away.
Sure, 5G is going to be a great thing for those who are lucky enough to live in a locale that's covered. I live in the suburbs just west of Chicago so cellular coverage is really good for all the major carriers in this area but at the same time I'm fully aware I live within a bubble of entitlement.
I'm suburbs of Cincinnati, so I feel ya. And lucky enough to have coverage near river (by sport stadiums) a block from my office. So if I ever want to go to park by river and stream 8k content, I can! lol

What little I remember of the Providence RI roll out article I saw you could get it in some shops that had a repeater but plate glass windows blocked the signal. When outside a few steps to the left or right would make you drop that signal. Providence is also very hilly and elevation seemed to play a role.
This is no where near Tesla's dream of wireless power transmission for everyone. Maybe if they can increase transmission range somehow?

Back
Top Bottom