• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

99 Tabs!

EJB986

Just upgraded our two Samsung Galaxies to A33 5G's.
On occasions we both get the message:-
'Can't have more than 99 tabs open at one time. The oldest tab was deleted.'
It's obviously no great problem but can I resolve this.
Android version 12.

Thanks for your advice.
How?
Where?
in your browser look for an "x" at the corner of each tab.

or

if you want to do everything at once you can wipe data for your browser. now keep in mind that this will delete your bookmarks as well as other data. but if your browser allows to sync data with an account, then as long as it has sync'd, your bookmarks will re-appear once you sign back into the browser. i just did this with my phone and i use the chrome browser. it did delete the bookmarks, but it asked me if i wanted to use my google info to sign back in. once you do that your bookmarks will also be back.

go to your phone's settings>apps>your browser>storage>manage storage>clear all data

now this is on my z fold 4 so getting there might be slightly different on your phone.

Use your browser app's Bookmarks to save web sites you want to retain or refer to later. With so many open tabs it's very unlikely you're actively viewing each of them concurrently. Each bookmark is only a few kilobytes in size, an insignificant amount of storage space, while each open tab is using several megabytes in storage memory and RAM. Add all 99 tabs together and the resulting total is a big waste of system resources.

I use BT (EE network) on our computers.
I have BT as the home page on PCs and phones.
Chrome is on the phones but I open the internet with the BT icon...there is no chrome icon.
No computer problems...just the 2 phones.

so BT is your carrier, correct? if they have their own browser, you should still be able to clear your data for the browser. just make sure that your account is sync'd or you will lose your bookmarks, if you have any.

download.png I would guess the BT / EE icon on your device is using the default browser, which is most likely the Samsung browser or Chrome, which is why you are saying it's not Chrome.....
So, in the upper right of the screen is a little number, 99, tap on it and you'll see smaller windows of websites. Touch the X in the upper right and tada, the window closes.
Do that 99 times and all of your open tabs will be gone.

View attachment 164529 I would guess the BT / EE icon on your device is using the default browser, which is most likely the Samsung browser or Chrome, which is why you are saying it's not Chrome.....
So, in the upper right of the screen is a little number, 99, tap on it and you'll see smaller windows of websites. Touch the X in the upper right and tada, the window closes.

OT, I see British Telecom have changed their logo yet again. When I was working for them, they had the prancing piper...

money-graphics-2003_902329a.png

Of course I'm not in the UK now, and so don't really know what's going on with BT these days. So don't think I can help the OP much.

Last edited:
View attachment 164529 I would guess the BT / EE icon on your device is using the default browser, which is most likely the Samsung browser or Chrome, which is why you are saying it's not Chrome.....

This event has happened on new phones where the data was transferred from the old phones by the suppling shop.
We have two BT icons.
1. BT exactly the same as the icon on your post.....this is 'My BT'
It works perfectly with no mention od tabs.
2. A coloured globe 'BT/Using the power of co'???? this is my 'BT homepage' for the internet and shows the 99app error.

All posters help is very much appreciated.

I use BT (EE network) on our computers.
I have BT as the home page on PCs and phones.
Chrome is on the phones but I open the internet with the BT icon...there is no chrome icon.
No computer problems...just the 2 phones.
OK this looks like a UK thing that I cannot answer. @Hadron are you available to chime in?
I'm familiar with EE as a mobile network and BT for home broadband, in fact use both currently, but I've no idea what the "BT icon" might be.

So my guess is the same as Danny's, that it's just a bookmark shortcut. If you open the browser using this and then go into the "recent apps" view what icon do you see above that? I suspect it will be the default web browser, either Samsung's "Internet" or Chrome. I don't use either, so have no idea whether there is any way to change this behaviour.

(I do keep that number of tabs open on a computer, but nothing close to that on a phone).

'My BT' goes directly to my BT broadband/mobile and telephone account.
The globe icon to BT homepage as per our PCs leading to email and all other services.....including My BT
As an aside the phones are certainly not slow on the home page.
Nowhere can I find a way of closing the infamous 99. All the links/buttons suggested do not appear.

Can you post a screen shot of what you're looking at?
Or a photo of the screen using your wife's phone?
We could suggest for hours but I think a screen shot will better help us help you

1. Is the homepage Which has the 99 banner at the bottom of the screen for a few seconds.
2. Is the opened 'Menu arrow'

Attachments

• 1000000571.jpg
    1000000571.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 1000000572.jpg
    1000000572.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 70
Dannydet.
Thank you for your help.
Problem solved but I am not 100% sure how I got there.
The action from a webpage to the Tabs option still isn't understood.
However all tabs cleared so Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom