• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

_(graphics) File naming and file formats

JoAnR8

Lurker
On my desktop I'm used to being able to name files and to be able to save graphics files in a number of formats that allow me to open those files in different graphics programs.

On the tablet this all seems different. In many programs (I'm talking the biggies: Sketchbook Pro, PS Touch, Infinite Painter...) it seems files are automatically named (with a set of numbers) and are stored in places called "Gallery" sometimes available to other programs and often not.

I'm trying to get used to this very odd situation. Has anyone from a desktop background experienced this problem? Is there some general sort of way to deal with it (a program that allows one to find all graphics files, rename them, and put them in one place that all programs can get to)?

Do I need to provide specific examples?

Thanks

When you turn an Android phone on, Media Scan runs and makes a list of all media files on the phone (and SD card if there is one). If you make a change to a media file, it's supposed to update that list. Gallery shows the picture and video files in that list.

The fact that certain apps give weird names to files is a totally different issue. Using a file manager program (even My Files) you can change the names of the files (but, as in any computer, if you change the extension of a file it may become useless. A video file with a png extension probably won't show or play.)

I understand how files work on a computer, extensions, etc. I don't understand the workings of phones and tablets (which don't seem to employ the same conventions as personal computers).

- When you say "Android phone" I assume you also mean tablets (Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition)
- When you say "Media Scan" are you referring to the program "Media Scan" (available on Google Play (FREE)? It says it's 'designed for phones'. Wonder if that means it won't work on my tablet.
- When you say "My Files" are you referring to MyFiles by Monster Castle?
I have file manager programs: "File Manager" and "ES File Explorer". Neither seem to be able to allow one to rename files. Which file management program would you recommend (that can rename files)?

Whoops, I'm wrong. The File Managers I have do allow me to rename files. However, there are some strange things going on when I try and "Copy To" or "Move To" a file. It's not clear how to navigate to a directory (or the SD card, which seems to have nothing on it--strange...).

Back
Top Bottom