• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help A few questions... (not too specific to S3)

androidlover9

Android Enthusiast
Hello I have a few questions...

1. Is there an app out there that can remap my software keys? (etc: make menu key a "recent apps" key) I tried looking around the internet but it says I need to be rooted in order to change it... does anyone know of a free app I can download from the play store that can remap the buttons?

2. How much does it usually cost to break a contract?

3. How can I backup game storage? I know Samsung has kies which does everything but game storage from what I understand... (I tried helium but it says that I have to buy the premium version of it or something...)

4. On my S3, I don't have options for the display, meaning I can't change the display so it looks like it's for a movie or for when I am outside or something, is this because of the firmware I flashed?

5. How much do you think I could sell an 8 month old Galaxy S3 with a small crack in the upper left corner (possibly unlocked)

6. Is it possible to get more languages on my phone? I am asking this because I am planning to sell the phone in another country and English is not very common there so it might turn off a few people who would want to buy the phone.

Any help at all would be appreciated :)

Hello I have a few questions...

1. Is there an app out there that can remap my software keys? (etc: make menu key a "recent apps" key) I tried looking around the internet but it says I need to be rooted in order to change it... does anyone know of a free app I can download from the play store that can remap the buttons?
I don't think you can if you're not rooted. Key mapping is probably in the kernel.

2. How much does it usually cost to break a contract?
That depends on the carrier, whether you got the phone through the carrier directly or through a store that also has an ETF, etc. A few hundred dollars, roughly, depending on the contract and how long it has left.

(Considering #6, this only applies in the US. I have no idea what the rules are in other countries. And if it's a US phone, it may not work on another continent.)

3. How can I backup game storage? I know Samsung has kies which does everything but game storage from what I understand... (I tried helium but it says that I have to buy the premium version of it or something...)
Copy the backup files to your computer. You don't need an app to back up anything. Having an app to do it just makes it easier (a lot in some cases). Find where the game stores its file(s) and copy it/them to your computer.

4. On my S3, I don't have options for the display, meaning I can't change the display so it looks like it's for a movie or for when I am outside or something, is this because of the firmware I flashed?
That's about as clear as grape juice. Change the display how? Brightness? Direction?

5. How much do you think I could sell an 8 month old Galaxy S3 with a small crack in the upper left corner (possibly unlocked)
Look on Swappa I've seen phones with a lot more than "a small crack" sell there. It's a trustworthy site, so if you're honest about the condition of the phone, including which firmware it's running, you should get about what other S3s in similar condition are selling there for.

6. Is it possible to get more languages on my phone? I am asking this because I am planning to sell the phone in another country and English is not very common there so it might turn off a few people who would want to buy the phone.
If you sell it on Swappa, that doesn't matter. Whether you can put another language in it, or flash a different language ROM, depends on exactly which model it is. Samsung made a lot of different S3s.

I don't think you can if you're not rooted. Key mapping is probably in the kernel.

Okay, thanks.

That depends on the carrier, whether you got the phone through the carrier directly or through a store that also has an ETF, etc. A few hundred dollars, roughly, depending on the contract and how long it has left.

(Considering #6, this only applies in the US. I have no idea what the rules are in other countries. And if it's a US phone, it may not work on another continent.)

It's a Canadian phone so I don't know for sure...

Copy the backup files to your computer. You don't need an app to back up anything. Having an app to do it just makes it easier (a lot in some cases). Find where the game stores its file(s) and copy it/them to your computer.

Alright, seems pretty straight forward.

That's about as clear as grape juice. Change the display how? Brightness? Direction?

I mean the adapt display option.

Look on Swappa I've seen phones with a lot more than "a small crack" sell there. It's a trustworthy site, so if you're honest about the condition of the phone, including which firmware it's running, you should get about what other S3s in similar condition are selling there for.

If you sell it on Swappa, that doesn't matter. Whether you can put another language in it, or flash a different language ROM, depends on exactly which model it is. Samsung made a lot of different S3s.

Well do I have to pay for shipping or anything? And can I sell them a phone that flashed before in the past and doesn't quite have the OS it came with?

I'll give it a look, hopefully the price will be good...

Tl;dr you need root access for most of that mate... The usual lol.
If you wanna do something that isn't in the phone's settings you generally need root and some software tools to do it. :thumbup:

Back
Top Bottom