• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A Little Bit About Corning Gorlla Glass

Bob Maxey

Android Expert
Sep 24, 2010
Mod edit: Can't see this post on tapatalk? Here's it is in plaintext:

It is not on every device.

Apple did not invent it.

If Corning sells it with rounded corners, Apple will sue them (smiley)

GG will scratch because it is not scratch proof. It is tough, though. Just do not think it is scratch resistant or disappointments will abound.

A tiny crack or chip can cause GG to shatter. According to Corning, that can happen because the tiniest changes to the glass formulas can make the glass a far different product than the developers intended.

A crack can start and run through the material at about 2,000 miles per hour

GG is made in the United States, but it is shipped to China for final chemical processing.

GG is made by quenching the top and bottom of the sheet. This lets the molten center contract somewhat and that toughens the glass. The glass is apparently not a float glass; it is pilled through a sizer.

There was a novelty product some time ago made my dropping molten glass into ice water. The idea was to exploit what happens with rapid quenching; the glass can shatter violently when you break off the little "tail" because of the pressures that build up inside of the glass and high speed a crack will travel through the glass. Sometimes, the reaction is so violent, the glass will emit sparks.

Jobs "bullied" Corning to create the glass on Job's time schedule and a few at Corning did not like SJ's approach, but it gives CG one more profit center. Jobs apparently arrived with the sum total of the planet's glass making knowledge in his fat little head and proceeded to tell Corning how to make glass. One unidentified Corning employee said Jobs was not a chemist or engineer and should keep out of the technical side of glass making. Or something like that.

GG was a decades old product, shelved until SJ decided he wanted to use the technology.

Corning employees tested the technology by tossing glass drinking glasses of the top of the building just to watch them bounce.

Corning has developed a thin glass material that can be bent. It is apparently shipped on a spool and wound like wire. Apparently, this material comes from Corning's attempt to figure out how to meet Apple's needs.
GG is quite an amazing product.

It is not on every device.

Apple did not invent it.

If Corning sells it with rounded corners, Apple will sue them (smiley)

GG will scratch because it is not scratch proof. It is tough, though. Just do not think it is scratch resistant or disappointments will abound.

A tiny crack or chip can cause GG to shatter. According to Corning, that can happen because the tiniest changes to the glass formulas can make the glass a far different product than the developers intended.

A crack can start and run through the material at about 2,000 miles per hour

GG is made in the United States, but it is shipped to China for final chemical processing.

GG is made by quenching the top and bottom of the sheet. This lets the molten center contract somewhat and that toughens the glass. The glass is apparently not a float glass; it is pilled through a sizer.

There was a novelty product some time ago made my dropping molten glass into ice water. The idea was to exploit what happens with rapid quenching; the glass can shatter violently when you break off the little "tail" because of the pressures that build up inside of the glass and high speed a crack will travel through the glass. Sometimes, the reaction is so violent, the glass will emit sparks.

Jobs "bullied" Corning to create the glass on Job's time schedule and a few at Corning did not like SJ's approach, but it gives CG one more profit center. Jobs apparently arrived with the sum total of the planet's glass making knowledge in his fat little head and proceeded to tell Corning how to make glass. One unidentified Corning employee said Jobs was not a chemist or engineer and should keep out of the technical side of glass making. Or something like that.

GG was a decades old product, shelved until SJ decided he wanted to use the technology.

Corning employees tested the technology by tossing glass drinking glasses of the top of the building just to watch them bounce.

Corning has developed a thin glass material that can be bent. It is apparently shipped on a spool and wound like wire. Apparently, this material comes from Corning's attempt to figure out how to meet Apple's needs.
GG is quite an amazing product.

Reactions: treb1797
Upvote 0
From - Insights on the writing of Steve Jobs - Fortune Tech

And he even said to me, on our last meeting--he was very ill, and resting. And after a while he looked up at me and said, "You know, there can be parts of your book I don't like." It was kind of more of a question. I said, "Yeah." I was kind of looking forward to engaging him... He said, "Well, don't worry. I wanted an independent book, I didn't want it to feel like an in-house book. But I'm not going to read it for a year, I'll read it a year from now." And his way of magical thinking is so extraordinary, that I remember sort of smiling and thinking, OK, that means he will get to the next lily pad; he will be around for another year, two years, three years. And he had a way of making you believe, and most of the time it worked. Starting at Atari, when he told Was, Steve Wozniak, "You can make this in four days," when they were doing "Breakout," one of the video games. Woz said, "No, it's going to take four weeks." And Steve said, "No, no, no. You can do it in four days." And Woz said, "Well, that was a reality distortion field, and I did it in four days." I went up once, you've probably dealt with him, too, a really great CEO in this country, Wendell Weeks, who runs Corning Glass. Steve Jobs when he does the iPhone decides he doesn't want plastic, he wants really tough glass on it, and they don't make a glass that can be tough like they want. And finally somebody says to him, because they were making all of the glass in China for the fronts of the stores, says, "You ought to check with the people at Corning. They're kind of smart there." So, he flies to Corning, New York, sits there in front of the CEO, Wendell Weeks, and says, "This is what I want, a glass that can do this." So, Wendell Weeks says, "We once created a type of process that created something called Gorilla Glass." And Steve said, "No, no, no. Here's how you make really strong glass." And Wendell says, "Wait a minute, I know how to make glass. Shut up and listen to me." And Steve, to his credit, shuts up and listens, and Wendell Weeks describes a process that makes Gorilla Glass. And Steve then says, "Fine. In six months I want enough of it to make--whatever it is--a million iPhones." And Wendell says, "I'm sorry, we've actually never made it. We don't have a factory to make it. This was a process we developed, but we never had a manufacturing plant to do it." And Steve looks at him and says what he said to Woz, 20, 30 years earlier: "Don't be afraid, you can do it." Wendell Weeks tells me... Because I flew to Corning, because I just wanted to hear this story. Wendell Weeks tells me, "I just sat there and looked at the guy. He kept saying, 'Don't be afraid. You can do this.'"
So.

What was Steve Jobs' contribution to Gorilla Glass?

He wrote a big enough check to make it worth Corning's while to produce it.

The end.

The glass isn't quenched and Steve knew nothing about glass making. Corning turned to their LCD glass plant and issued the production order.

Whether it's coated in China, that came up in this month's wired ragazine.

Which, who cares, not me. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Gah. How has post #1 managed to become formatted in Black? Tapatalk unreadable....

Yeah.. I had to respond with quote to be able to read it

What's different? It's fine on mine.

Reporting to admin.

Bob put his text in tags, and Tapatalk pays attention tot hat even if your tapatalk skin has a black background. I edited in a tapatalk friendly version.

It's best to not try to format the colour. That way it shows as black anyway on the website and phone apps will format it appropriately automatically :)

Reactions: SUroot and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Some good facts about GG, and i always knew Steve was very impolite.

It's funny how no one knew about it until Steve did something about it though.

Apparently, GG was a failed product that languished deep within the bowels of Corning. Or perhaps on a self. Jobs read something about it, somewhere, and decided he wanted it.

Upvote 0
Apparently, GG was a failed product that languished deep within the bowels of Corning. Or perhaps on a self. Jobs read something about it, somewhere, and decided he wanted it.

Not according to the link and quote I provided.

If you read about the history of its development, GG was a fail for auto glass.

Jobs found that he didn't like the plastic screen being prototyped for the iPhone, and wanted hard glass instead.

He met with Corning, started to tell him what he wanted and they corrected him, that they had what he wanted. He listened to the proposal, liked what he heard and proceeded, although Corning was reluctant to proceed due to quantities required.

If you want to persist with your home spun yarns about Jobs, fine, but how a reference that cites that you're right here.

Otherwise, I'm going to go with the statements made by Jobs biographer that Jobs related that info, and the biographer was reliable in reporting it.

Upvote 0
From - Insights on the writing of Steve Jobs - Fortune Tech

So.

What was Steve Jobs' contribution to Gorilla Glass?

He wrote a big enough check to make it worth Corning's while to produce it.

The end.

The glass isn't quenched and Steve knew nothing about glass making. Corning turned to their LCD glass plant and issued the production order.

Whether it's coated in China, that came up in this month's wired ragazine.

Which, who cares, not me. :rolleyes:

SJ's contribution was getting it out there and giving Corning another product to sell. SJ did not create it, but he forced CG to bring good things to light. No, wait, that was GE. But I dislike GE since they stopped making #5/#5B flash bulbs.

So ihow should SJ be credited? Forget his Ride you Raw business style; without his "help" GG might not be available.

Not sure what Corning has done. Something to do with treating it with some chemical process. The glass came to market rather quickly.

What amazes me is Corning. Forget Gorilla Glass, they are an amazing company.

Upvote 0
SJ's contribution was getting it out there and giving Corning another product to sell. SJ did not create it, but he forced CG to bring good things to light. No, wait, that was GE. But I dislike GE since they stopped making #5/#5B flash bulbs.

So ihow should SJ be credited? Forget his Ride you Raw business style; without his "help" GG might not be available.

Not sure what Corning has done. Something to do with treating it with some chemical process. The glass came to market rather quickly.

What amazes me is Corning. Forget Gorilla Glass, they are an amazing company.

I agree.

Productization is terribly important.

Jobs had the business sense to call the right guys, listen to them and drive the product to market.

That's huge.

Just as he did with per-song sales and the later removal of DRM. Huge.

Some might say, if he didn't, someone would have. I don't think that I like that sort of hypothetical. He did it.

But the songwriters and bands get the credit for the music and the Corning glassmakers get their just credit.

I got to spend a few days at one of their smaller manufacturing facilities. Amazingly clean and modern.

So it was a complex set of circumstances and events that led to it being on consumer devices.

Credit where due, that's what I meant.

PS - coming to market quickly was something, but that was also a matter of circumstances. The plant selected already made thin LCD substrate glass. Surely a great effort to change over, but also not inventing from scratch either?

Upvote 0
According to wikipedia, Corning no longer produces Pyrex and now just licenses the brand name.

Earlier this year, Schott in Germany introduced their Xensation line claiming it would put GG to shame, and before that there were some interesting videos going around of a product that I thought was called Dragon Glass, but I can't find that now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones