• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A sorely missed feature after an upgrade

Ekijo

Lurker
Dec 26, 2022
So I just upgraded from the Rog phone 3 to the Rog phone 6. And I'm looking for a feature that I love as a power user of android.
Press and hold on the task option like the above link and the app just slides up to allow split screen and you can chose from already open apps or a new app.

This new system of press and hold on the app icon in the open task section is fundamentally the same but much more of a hastle in comparison because

A: you have to open the menu first.
B: you have to hold on a more awkward location and press another button after doing so
C: you can't access new apps or home screen from this split screen

Dose anyone know how to enable this on newer android such as my rog phone 6?

Here is an imgur link with a video of the function if your unfamiliar
https://imgur.com/a/005sUj5

So I just upgraded from the Rog phone 3 to the Rog phone 6. And I'm looking for a feature that I love as a power user of android.
Press and hold on the task option like the above link and the app just slides up to allow split screen and you can chose from already open apps or a new app.

This new system of press and hold on the app icon in the open task section is fundamentally the same but much more of a hastle in comparison because

A: you have to open the menu first.
B: you have to hold on a more awkward location and press another button after doing so
C: you can't access new apps or home screen from this split screen

Dose anyone know how to enable this on newer android such as my rog phone 6?

Here is an imgur link with a video of the function if your unfamiliar
https://imgur.com/a/005sUj5
this is not an android thing but your phone's manufacturer is what determines how your phone fully works. each manufacturer can add what we call a skin on top of android. for example samsung's OneUI. each "skin" makes the android experience different from other manufacturer's.

on my z fold 4, split screen is pretty easy to do. you can even save splitscreen shortcuts!

there are apps in the play store that can do split screens. maybe those might make it easier for you:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=split+screen&c=apps

other than that, the only option is to either get used to it or go back to the older device.

Upvote 0
this is not an android thing but your phone's manufacturer is what determines how your phone fully works. each manufacturer can add what we call a skin on top of android. for example samsung's OneUI. each "skin" makes the android experience different from other manufacturer's.

on my z fold 4, split screen is pretty easy to do. you can even save splitscreen shortcuts!

there are apps in the play store that can do split screens. maybe those might make it easier for you:
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=split+screen&c=apps

other than that, the only option is to either get used to it or go back to the older device.
Thanks for the suggestion, sadly all the trustworthy looking options for split screen don't work even with Dev tools enabled.
I have had this feature through 3 separate phones manufacturers and 6 models. Motorola on a deffy and edge, Sony experix 12, z, xz and the Asus Rog phone 3.it seams bizarre to rework a took that has been around and worked near flawlessly for so long for a mostly core Android experience from all of these distros.

And I wouldn't dare go back to my other device as I replaced it despite being relatively new due to what I can only asume is a CPU hitch or ram issue.
If I had more than 3 apps in tray any media being played had a chance to just frezze, requiering me to pull down the notification bar to re-initate the app.it was one hell of an annoying bug.
It could happen as many as 15 times in a 3 min video.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones