• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

A100 compared to Flyer

rushmore

Extreme Android User
Tried them both and was leaning to the A100, until the price of the Flyer went to $300. The Kindle Fire was NEVER considered (bleh).

Display

Like the A500, the A100 has visible lines and the viewing angles do not appear as good as the Flyer

Build & feel

The Flyer is more comfortable to hold and feels more solid & more compact (they are actually about same total volume in size).

Features

The $300 Flyer has 1gb of ram and 16gb internal, plus sd. The A100 does have a dual core, but this turned out to not be an advantage (which surprised the absolute HECK out of me).

Another feature is the Flyer charges via the USB port (no power supply to lug or worry about forgetting it).

Performance

UI and apps = More snappy on the Flyer than any device I have owned: Droid, Incredible, Droid 2, Droid 3, A500, Thrive, so not just the A100.

Games = To my surprise, the Flyer is better. Besides my Tegra 2- only games that I have, the Flyer performs the same for Android games, but the Flyer is FAR better for N64Oid and FPse. A LOT more games play smoother and load faster on the Flyer than the Tegra 2 and 4430 devices I have used.

Video = More codecs appear to play and play better on the Flyer, plus Netlfix works great.

Audio = Both have good 3.5mm sound quality, but the speaker on the Flyer is louder.

Battery life = Neither device will win any awards, but the ability to charge through the USB is a big advantage for the Flyer.

If the Flyer was still $500, I would pick the A100, but at $30 less than the A100 and with more features and performance, the Flyer IMO is a better buy. I fully expected the single core to choke when playing some more demanding games for N64 and PSX (like the Xplay and Thunderbolt does), but it was the opposite. The 1.5ghz chip in the Flyer is better performing than the current dual cores and does not run as hot.

Another perk for me is that I dislike Honeycomb on smaller devices, due to 10% of the display taken up by the navigator bar. IMO, Gingerbread is a better OS for smaller tablets.

The A100 is a good device, but the Flyer at the new price IMO is amazing. Added: Funny how a $200 price drop can change perspective.

You seem to a bit biased to the Flyer, as your forgot to mention the lack of a tablet OS(Android 3.X) which was a deal breaker for me.

I do wish my A100 had the same type of pen as I'd love to takes notes in class, but 7'' is a bit small for that anyway.

You seem to a bit biased to the Flyer, as your forgot to mention the lack of a tablet OS(Android 3.X) which was a deal breaker for me.

I do wish my A100 had the same type of pen as I'd love to takes notes in class, but 7'' is a bit small for that anyway.

hey can you tell me how your battery is? i hear its bad but how bad is it really?

This is interesting as I was about to pull the trigger on a Flyer but since it was single core and I already have an a100 I decided against it. I might just have to try one in store. I also assume that the Flyer has more Market compatible apps and games. The only thing concerns me with the Flyer is being unable to use six axis controller which works great on the a100. I did purchase phonejoy game controller thats supposed to work on HTC devices. So I may still consider it.

I'm watching this on youtube Asphalt6 on a Flyer. Seems very choppy compared to when I play it on my Evo 3d dual core.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59eO_LSrLyU&feature=related

This is interesting as I was about to pull the trigger on a Flyer but since it was single core and I already have an a100 I decided against it. I might just have to try one in store. I also assume that the Flyer has more Market compatible apps and games. The only thing concerns me with the Flyer is being unable to use six axis controller which works great on the a100. I did purchase phonejoy game controller thats supposed to work on HTC devices. So I may still consider it.

I'm watching this on youtube Asphalt6 on a Flyer. Seems very choppy compared to when I play it on my Evo 3d dual core.
hTC Flyer Game Review - YouTube

you need to find another video to compare. that video is choppy so its not the flyer

Its ok I also went to the store to check it out and I wasnt too impressed. As usual Sense is bogging it down for other operation other than games. So I'll just stick with my a100.

Back
Top Bottom