• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ability to update phone on third party network?

Willster419

The Casio Smartphone Guru
Hello all,
I have a quick question, and I am fairly certain I know the asnwer, but just to make sure. You can NOT use the update software on ANY third party network, correct? If you want OTA updates, you HAVE to be on the verizon network?

Pretty sure it doesn't matter because I've updated over wifi with an unactivated (is that even a word?) phone. If you're rooted and have the custom recovery you can always DL the latest firmware provided by Doctoror and install it in recovery.

Alright, thanks! Good to know I can use wifi. I thought it was like the old commando. Looks like I can take this off the big bad V finally.

I kind of doubt there will be any more updates other than a security fix or two (something to break root), but then again you never know. I am also looking to get away from VZW, but then again I have unlimited data with a $20 discount which is pretty much what keeps me around.

That's what I'm thinking too. TBH i'm still on M50 cause of all the stuff i heard about M70 and having to run scripts and stuff for root at boot. All of that work for just some "updates"? Meh, i'll pass, and press OK when contacts unfortunately stops working :p

Right now I pay $50/month for unlimited talk text and 2GB data, but I barely use any of it. Pageplus offers 1200mins 3000 texts and 500mb of data, which i still won't use up lol. For $30/month instead of $50, heck yess!

I had page+ with my old Casio Boulder, it worked fine and didn't cost that much... so seemed like a good deal for me.
Their website is horrible, you can't seem to do anything in there, it's just broken. Just tried to purchase a $29 "card" from them, it gave me an internal server error, tried again - same thing. I figured I'll stick with overpaying $15/month but getting an unlimited talk and text, plus good support and a working website with VZW.
Stay away from page+, that seems like a very badly organized company.

What browser were you using for their site? I use Chrome and have never had any of those problems.
They definitely have less organization then Verizon, but they don't ask as many questions of require as much information as Verizon. Just setup an account, give them money, buy a SIM, put it in, no questions asked. I like that.

Last edited:
Chrome, also.

I'm a software developer so pretty good at overcoming small quirks. This was a back-end issue.
Went with Verizon, did not regret for a second: $45/month, no contract, all features are working flawlessly.
Best phone I ever held in my hand.

Back
Top Bottom