• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ? about latest update 98.72.165

DroidAbuser

Feb 15, 2012
All-

I have kind of a unique situation that the other threads do not address as far as keeping root after taking the newest update.

After reading some of the other threads as well as looking around online, I understand you can use Voodoo OTA rootkeeper to temp unroot, take the update, and then reroot the phone. That sounds great except for one thing...my phone is rooted and I have the sql hack to use stock VZ hotspot. Just wondering if that changes anything?

Also, the second part of this equation is that I need to do a factory reset because I have not done one since the JB upgrade and over the past several months the phone is becoming unbearably slow and laggy which a clear cache did not fix...so only option is factory reset in my mind.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide....I am not really familiar with Voodoo rootkeeper and wanted to try and cover all my basis before attempting.

Voodoo root keeper i believe is obsolete now but i could be wrong. The latest Superuser app i believe has the function integrates now. If you take the update, it will reset ypur sqlite hack for the hotspot so, youll need to redo it.
A factory reset isnt needed however recommendesld. The update will not boost your phone nor make a difference in performance l, it only changes a few things with the kernel.

If you are rooted and having a hard time keeping up with your phones performance, I would recommend going all out with root and go ahead and install Safestrap and install a custom rom since keeping performance seems to be your poison here.

If you have any questions, lemme know

Upvote 0
Voodoo root keeper i believe is obsolete now but i could be wrong. The latest Superuser app i believe has the function integrates now. If you take the update, it will reset ypur sqlite hack for the hotspot so, youll need to redo it.
A factory reset isnt needed however recommendesld. The update will not boost your phone nor make a difference in performance l, it only changes a few things with the kernel.

If you are rooted and having a hard time keeping up with your phones performance, I would recommend going all out with root and go ahead and install Safestrap and install a custom rom since keeping performance seems to be your poison here.

If you have any questions, lemme know

Biotic-

Thanks for your help...a few questions:I

I have never used SU to keep root happen to have any instructions?

And, after I am successful with installing the latest update and keeping root, will a factory reset keep my root or not?

I am a little confused...Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones