• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root absolute noob at this

Can someone explain to me how exactly to root my phone? I wanna upgrade to Android 2.3, but I'm not sure how. And is there a way to back up my phone completely just in case my phone bricks?

There are a lot of good tutorials out there. I'm sure if you search a little you can find one. The thing with this phone is that if you have the official 2.2 update on your phone, it is a little harder to root. Find a guide that will downgrade your phone to an engineering build, and then you can follow this guide: Just another tech blog: Complete guide to rooting and hacking the HTC Slide (Note that it says this won't work if you have the official 2.2, but if you can find how to downgrade to 2.1 then this will work.)

Before rooting, I don't think there is a way to completely backup your phone, but you can back up your SD card and you should be able to backup some data with different apps - depending on what you want to backup.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones