• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Accelerometer/Compass acting erratically

StevenSeed

Android Enthusiast
Anyone else notice the compass and accelerometer is really erratic on the Xperia Z? I first noticed it when I tried to use Google Sky Map, which was all over the place.

Then, I noticed that the compass function on "Smart Tools" was all over the place as well. So I downloaded Z-DeviceTest and that showed the compass and accelerometer violently jagging around uncontrollably. This makes the phone pretty much unusable for games like X-Plane 9 which I used to really enjoy playing.

I don't know whether this is just my phone, or a design flaw in the device itself. Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated.

I'm going to suggest it's just your handset, simply because my own doesn't exhibit similar behaviour.

One thing: the apps I use which invoke the compass all require a period of "calibration", usually involving moving the handset vertically, horizontally and end-over-end in a figure-of-eight pattern.

I'm going to suggest it's just your handset, simply because my own doesn't exhibit similar behaviour.

One thing: the apps I use which invoke the compass all require a period of "calibration", usually involving moving the handset vertically, horizontally and end-over-end in a figure-of-eight pattern.

I'm grateful for your reply. I've tried doing this (i.e. the calibration spinny thing) although I was never prompted to do it. I'll give EE a call in the morning. :smokingsomb:

Just offering an update on this - I never got round to ringing EE but the erraticity of the accelerometer/compass seems to have declined now. Also, I've found a setting which "slows down" the update time so the compass is a little smoother anyway. I'm wondering if it was a result of the solar storm we had a few weeks ago?

I've been told that Sony Xperia z doesn't support Google sky maps. Before you try to load it go to the bottom of the reviews tap the button for reviews for your device, it says that it's not supported. I've also noticed that it doesn't play things that need Adobe Flash.

I've just found out its the official Sony case with a built in magnet stopping Google sky from working. I removed it and ay presto. I feel a right twit.

Back
Top Bottom