• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Accidentally silencing phone - my solution

x475aws

I've found that it's easy to hit the volume rocker and silence my Droid by mistake. But the rocker switch is more convenient than going into an app, or even tapping a widget, so I don't want to use any of the volume control apps I've seen. I wrote a new app called RingGuard, which is on the Market for free. Here's the description:

Guard against unintended ring volume change, while allowing normal use of volume rocker switch.

When volume is changed, a confirmation dialog pops up. Can confirm on screen, or with hard keys. After a configurable timeout, volume is restored to original setting.

Tested on Motorola Droid.

In this recent thread, I heard about your app and installed it. EXCELLENT JOB!!! I don't see how that app wouldn't suit the needs of anyone with this issue (I NOT being one of them). I volume rocker confirmation app ... how cool is that? :cool:

Heard about this app through word of mouth and love it. Perfect. I use my volume rocker when I read books to "turn the page" and also use it to dismiss alarms during the day. So this app is perfect for keeping the volume steady. Kudos!

I'm on surgical call for a hospital. Accidentally turning down my ring tone volume while in my pocket and missing calls has been a concern.

Until now!!!

I can't thank you enough for the peace of mind.

EDIT: I also want to add that your implementation is simple and perfect! And I will say genius!

Wonderful! I didn't think I would need it because I use a gel case and it's tougher to accidentally hit the volume rocker. But I was in New Orleans for New Years and didn't use the gel case when I was there. I ended up missing calls because I accidentally turned down the volume. This is a WONDERFUL app! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!

I have no idea how I keep turning off the ringer on my droid.Hopefully this solves the problem as I've missed several calls due to this problem. Thanks for sharing.

I have been using this app for a few days as well. Referred to in the same thread as Messenger13 and am very happy with it. Kudos to x475aws :D

This is why I love android! anyone smart enough can write apps to help others. I hadn't even thought of an app to fix this problem (I'm NOT one of the smart ones!). Going to dl now, thanks SO much!

How does anyone turn the volume down on the phone while it is in their pocket? The volume rocker does nothing with the phone locked. :confused:

How does anyone turn the volume down on the phone while it is in their pocket? The volume rocker does nothing with the phone locked. :confused:

Its called multi-tasking. Turning the phone on or off while putting it or out of your pocket or holster and pressing the volume rocker while gripping the phone. I do this several times a day. Probably in the double digits...

Just gave this ap a shot and I like...One thing that aggravates me that this ap doesn't solve is when you silence the phone from the lock screen and then unsilence it from that same screen, the phone defaults to low volume ring tone even if you had it on vibrate originally.

Also, I don't understand if I have Silent Mode checked (which means all sounds except for media and alarms are silenced) why I can still have a ring tone go off if I have a call and the ringer volume is accidentally set to low.

Back
Top Bottom