• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Advantages and Disadvantages of rooting

TDOW

Hi everyone.

This is my second Android phone, I just upgraded from the Optimus V, and ran it stock.

So far I am absolutely loving the EVO V (just the fact that I don't have to uninstall half my apps because of low space has me over the moon!).

I was wondering what advantages there would be to rooting. I am not a total techie, and am kind of nervous about rooting the phone.

I welcome any input.

Thank you!

Moved this thread to the All Things Root section of this device. :)

Well, I am not a pro or savvy at rooting, but some of the benefits are:

Being able to remove the bloatware and carrier apps

Flashing different ROM's giving your device a whole new look and feel

Some of the things to be aware of are

Possibly bricking the device if the rooting steps are not followed

Rooting voids the warranty

There's more, but I can't remember what they are. I'm sure the members here can better assist you than I. :)

Advantages: Running other roms, deleting bloatwares, phone enhancements to sound, camera, etc.

Disadvantages: Voids your warranty. (Just don't tell them you root), risk of bricking. (rare but it happens).

My phone is currently a brick, waiting on Virgin to send me a replacement.

Rooting doesn't void your warranty, screwing up the phone while rooting will, the phone is covered for manufacturer's defects, if your power button stops working that has nothing to do with the software, whether rooted or not. It's very difficult to brick this phone but let's say that you flashed a wrong file and the phone doesn't work, that's user error, not a defective device. :thumbup:
OB

Rooting doesn't void your warranty, screwing up the phone while rooting will, the phone is covered for manufacturer's defects, if your power button stops working that has nothing to do with the software, whether rooted or not. It's very difficult to brick this phone but let's say that you flashed a wrong file and the phone doesn't work, that's user error, not a defective device. :thumbup:
OB

I successfully bricked my phone by just powering it off. Defective Power button maybe?:D :smokingsomb::o:confused::mad:

its a good thing vm is good with replacements. while ive been with vm ive had 8 triumphs and yet to have a replacement evo hopefully never i dont wanna s-off again. but rooting i would say just do it as soon as i got this phone i rooted it. i got tired of all that darn virgin mobile apps and facebook app which i couldnt remove

its a good thing vm is good with replacements. while ive been with vm ive had 8 triumphs and yet to have a replacement evo hopefully never i dont wanna s-off again. but rooting i would say just do it as soon as i got this phone i rooted it. i got tired of all that darn virgin mobile apps and facebook app which i couldnt remove

I'm going to root and S-off again as soon as I get a replacement, but I"m going to be very very careful with flashing roms and stuff.

After you root and install a custom rom you will realize what a bloated POS the carriers ship with their phones. You get unlimited choices and customization's, host file based add blocking, root based tethering which beats the paid non root tethering apps, the possibility to overclock and the list goes on.

how did u brick it. like i no u said you cut it off and then it wouldnt come back on but what did u do before that. [sorry for talking about it in this thread]

how did u brick it. like i no u said you cut it off and then it wouldnt come back on but what did u do before that. [sorry for talking about it in this thread]

Before that I was running Viper3d, and before Viper3D I was running Unlocked Potential. Ran both of them with Anthrax.

I just recently ran the VM RUU, and all the reboots and stuff from flashing roms went away. Been running Unlocked for a few days and got bored and decided to go with Viper3d again yesterday. Flashed it through recovery (4ext) and everything went well. No reboots. It went through a whole night fine. I installed some themes and live wallpapers, got the google now patch for ICS, everything went well. No problems at all.

Booted off and charge my phones a couple times last night. Turned on fine. Then this morning, I decided to go into recovery to try out another ROM. So I powered off my phone using the normal hold Power button then hit power off on screen. Let it sit for about a minute then hold down vol and then hit power button, thought I would get into fastboot but screen refused to turn on. I tried again, no luck. Then I tried holding power button down by itself. No ice, removed battery and then hold power button down without battery for 15 seconds, plugged back in and hit power button, no ice. Plugged power cord in, light wouldn't turn on at all.

Phone is just not responsive to anything at all. It's completely dead.

Back
Top Bottom