• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

After updating to Windows 10, S3 not recognised

Soapydroid

Lurker
May 31, 2016
I recently updated to Windows 10 (64-bit) and had no difficulty in connecting my Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 to my laptop.

The problem started when I installed Kies 3 and it clearly updated the USB driver to the latest version 1.5.59.0. I have tried installing / uninstalling Kies 3 with and without drivers. With and without USB debugging. Installing USB driver separately from from Kies. All with no success.

I connected my phone to other PCs and laptops. On first connection everything was ok and the S3 was recognised and readable but then became unrecognised. I looked at the USB drivers on these machines (which are networked) and discovered that the USB driver had been updated to the latest version on these too. Now I cannot connect to any of them. I backed up using Kies whilst I still had a connection and reset my S3 but I have no means of retrieving the backup !

I read many forums and blogs, including this one, and concluded that the newer USB drivers are not fully compatible with the S3. However, when trying to load older versions which are known to work, I received an error saying that this publisher (Samsung) is blocked.

I have concluded that this might be a deliberate ploy by Samsung to persuade people to upgrade to their later offerings for which the latest drivers work.

I also noticed some posts relating to the need for Media Player to be loaded as well and, of course Windows 10 does not have this included.

I have also changed the USB mode on the S3 by using the access code using the telephone keypad

I believe that if I could get hold of a USB driver that worked and could load it, the problem would be solved but I am reluctant to download from unofficial sites owing to the risk of an attached malware payload.

When I look in Device Manger, the S3 does not appear and all USB devices are shown as working normally.

Any Suggestions Anyone ? If I had any hair I'd be tearing it out!

A moment ago

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones