• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Again battery issues

Love my Nexus 5 and Android, but I'm getting so fed up with these battery issues. Almost every update a new issue arrises. My Nexus only lasts about half a day lately.

Running 5.1.1.

See screenshots. I think it is not a setting but more an OS issue???

Screenshot_2015-05-30-21-52-14.png
Screenshot_2015-05-30-21-52-09.png

Your Google Services are also using way too much power.

Have you tried tapping on "Android System" in that first screen to see whether you can identify in more detail. Also the phone was kept awake for 2 hours out of 3, so go to app usage then select total time kept awake and see whether you can identify what is doing that.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Your Google Services are also using way too much power.

Have you tried tapping on "Android System" in that first screen to see whether you can identify in more detail. Also the phone was kept awake for 2 hours out of 3, so go to app usage then select total time kept awake and see whether you can identify what is doing that.

No, it wasnt kept on at all. I turned off the phone before leaving the house.

Upvote 0
That screenshot reports that in the 3 hours the phone radio was on the phone processor was held awake for 2. That's not the same thing as the screen being on, it means that the processor is being prevented from entering a sleep state. So info on what was holding it awake may help identify the problem.

Sorry, those are not my screenshots. I didnt want to start a new thread since theres already one open about battery issues. My issue is my battery will drain quickly even when its off. For example I just charged it to 100%, turn off the phone, after just sitting there for 2 hours its down to 87%.

Upvote 0
Sorry, those are not my screenshots. I didnt want to start a new thread since theres already one open about battery issues. My issue is my battery will drain quickly even when its off. For example I just charged it to 100%, turn off the phone, after just sitting there for 2 hours its down to 87%.

I feel that something is definitely shorted on my phone. While off, the battery will drain and the phone gets warm. I take that as a sign something is still active even though the phone is turned off.

Upvote 0
Does "off" mean that you just tapped the power button once to turn the screen off, or did you hold the power button down and select "Power Off"?

Yes, when I say off I mean the phone is completely off, not just screen-off. Which is a really weird problem, how can software be the issue here when the phone is off. This leads me to believe its a hardware issue--I don't know I'm just guessing I have no clue, electronics can be a freaking mystery.

I tried flashing all the Stock Rom, problem remains. Also wifi doesn't turn on either, if that's a clue to anything.

Upvote 0
Yes, when I say off I mean the phone is completely off, not just screen-off. Which is a really weird problem, how can software be the issue here when the phone is off. This leads me to believe its a hardware issue--I don't know I'm just guessing I have no clue, electronics can be a freaking mystery.

I tried flashing all the Stock Rom, problem remains. Also wifi doesn't turn on either, if that's a clue to anything.

I took a volt meter reading my battery is down to 3.3v. I begin looking at other forums:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus5/comments/364yai/cause_of_random_bad_battery_crash_found_how_to/

Maybe for some of us the battery has gone bad. I going to order an OEM battery from ebay and see what happens; I'll keep everyone updated since I see at least one other person is having the same problem.

Upvote 0
After further testing and guessing, my best guess is my phone has a faulty Wifi chip.

Looking at diagram:
https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Nexus+5+Teardown/19016

With the back cover removed. I fully charged the phone, disconnected the battery, to see if its not holding charge on its own. 2 hours battery only dropped from 100% to 99%.

When I reconnected, not turning on the phone, the wifi chip begins to get warm/hot. Within 30 mins the battery drops another 4% (while completely off).

My best guess; between the battery draining while off, battery having minimal discharge while disconnected, wifi chip getting hot while battery is connected, and wifi not working while phone is on (tried all stock roms), Im going to guess its a bad wifi chip/motherboard and thats well beyond my knowledge for repairs.

Upvote 0
Battery drain is now really annoying me

GSM data drain, Wifi have been around since the L preview over a year ago and still the Android issues log shows these as low number of users affected and no Google staff member assigned to resolve.

Hopes aren't high for M being any better.
I've had M installed for about a week and my battery life is SUBSTANTIALLY better. Doze is the real deal.

Upvote 0
Love my Nexus 5 and Android, but I'm getting so fed up with these battery issues. Almost every update a new issue arrises. My Nexus only lasts about half a day lately.

Running 5.1.1.

See screenshots. I think it is not a setting but more an OS issue???

View attachment 88434 View attachment 88435
Is your device rooted ? If yes then I would suggest you to give "Greenify" a try ! What it does is hibernates the unnecessary app which runs in the background! Even if you're not rooted it will work but root will unleash its power [emoji1]

Upvote 0
Update on mine. There was a hardware issue with the wifi. It continued to attempt to turn on, even when my phone is completely off. You can feel the part of the phone where the wifi chip is at continued to be warm while completely off, hence the battery kept draining. Something on the circuit board is shorted, I assumed. I ended up using Google warranty to get a replacement, no more battery, wifi, or heating problems.

Reactions: nx1977 and exninja
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones