• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Ally Upgrade to stratosphere

dcooterfrog

well I just got my Samsung stratosphere, the 4 g slider we have been waiting for.

thoughts
big screen amoled looks nice
a bit thinner than the ally
fast... I know its not a dual core but seems pretty darn snappy to me
fast data. 4g nice.

build quality is not as good as LG but much better than my samsung saga

the menu keys and the home keys are in the wrong place. that will take some time to get used to.
no physical buttons. they are like the lg back key.
no answer and hangup button. no camera button
no led ( i knew all of these things goin into it.

the kbd 5 rows, not 4 so ther is more space, but tis differnt. the key feel is not as nice as the ally,

root. yes. its easier than the root process for the froyo ally.
short version. samsung knows you want to install custom stuff so you can, but they warn you not to.

enter down load mode. flash unsecured kernel with heimdall , use adb to push su, busybox and super user. some people are hivian issues with the drivers on win7 x64, but I just repeated the process and it worked fin the second time. total elapsed time 10 minutes.

no roms yet, no custom recovery yet but the phone is basically a Samsung droid charge with a kbd, so its not long now.

cost. I got mine as an upgrade on amazon wireless for wait for it wait for it $34. officially it was an upgrade to my wifes phone that I activated on my line with vz. amazon has no problem with it, verizon has not problem wiht it.

shoot me questions if you are interested.
thakse for all your hard work.

Back