• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Always On Phone

WekaNZ

Lurker
Hi

I use my S7 as my chromecast remote.

I don't want the screen to turn off. Presently it turns of after 10 minutes.

How can I extend this, or even better stop it from turning off at all

Thank You..

is the phone always hooked up to its charger? other have something like a navigation app running, i do not see how you can keep the device's screen on 24/7. it really is not that hard to wake the device up, once the screen is off.

Extend should be easy: there will be an option in your display settings. Though by default the maximum might be 30 minutes. A third party app should be able to set this for longer: on my phone the "Shortcutter" app I use to customise my shortcuts beyond what the system offers claims to be able to set a 60 minute timeout (though I've never felt inclined to test that), and I've a task in Tasker that I used to keep it on during certain apps that temporarily sets the timeout to 23 hours 59 minutes and 59 seconds, which should do for any practical purpose. Other automation apps can probably do similar.

You want the brightness low or you'll burn the controls into an AMOLED screen if you leave the same image on all the time.

The Phone is USB to computer as a charger. I use a screen rotation app to rotate the screen. So it faces the right way. Its just so convenient.

The Screen Timeout is 10 minutes I would be happy with 30..

Oh.. Just a wee side question .. Is it bad for the batter if the charger is in all the time and the phone is at 100% charged..

Thank You..

Last edited:
.....Oh.. Just a wee side question .. Is it bad for the batter if the charger is in all the time and the phone is at 100% charged..
Having your phone plugged continuously into a charger and having the phone on all the time won't necessarily damage either one but it will shorten the life the phone's battery. Of course if this phone is being re-purposed to be just a Chromecast remote you're probably not too focused on the battery anyway. And not to be snarky but somebody in your household has a real streaming content addiction if there's such a demand for an always-on screen ;)

Back
Top Bottom