• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Amazing/Horrid Camera - Pet Peeve

I believe its unlikely there is a way to "fix" the camera. Seeing how the phone is made by HTC, they have a history of craptastic camera sensors and software. Its better than nothing, and a lot nicer than some of the Windows Mobile implementations, but alas still can't match my beloved Nokia N95 :p. Nevertheless, the rest of the phone is a great and for the price, I think its a good deal for a lot of people.

Upvote 0
They can "fix" anything with this OS basically in a Update.
It will NEVER take spectacular pictures.
lens is plastic.
No Flash.
3megpxl.
Off Center.
I didn't get it to be my main camera and honestly, the pictures are acceptable. Just use a steady hand and don't try anything too dark. I have used it for occasional shots and it was fine. Not my dslr, not even close, but fine.

Upvote 0
Yeah and what is the price? In Germany it is 403€ (520$). For that price I could buy a decent digital camera + G1. For sure you can integrate a decent camera into a mobile phone but it has its price.

But then you are carrying two devices whereas Convergence devices are what people are craving for these days. Look at it this way, A device that can be your web browser/music player/decent stills camera/phone/all round communicator all in one neat little package. Then it's not so expensive is it? plus as Tate pointed out you can get it for free on contract.

Megapixels don't impress me, it's the lenses/sensor/optics used, along with slick software that matters not the "marketing megapixels matter boast" but the C905 does the job well enough to negate the need for a separate stills in my opinion

Upvote 0
my last camphone was VGA... it was GARBAGE. by comparison the G1 is practically an SLR. It doesn't come close to replacing my Canon 790IS... but if it's daylight, and I see something funny, the G1 is almost perfect. Now the G2, which will be 12 megapixel, with image stabilization and a flash... then I can have true gadget convergence.

Upvote 0
The big problem, IMHO, is that the camera sensor is not very sensitive at all. That's what makes the pictures blurry...the exposure takes forever. It also makes the camera virtually useless in low light. I get blurry pictures from people moving in a brightly lit area. You can crank up the apparent sensitivity by amplifying the chip more, but then you also amplify the noise in the image. To get rid of that, you need to apply a de-noising filter, which then destroys the fine detail rendered by that nice auto-focus lens.

To get high sensitivity in a higher MP sensor, you have to shell out $$. They went for the 3MP (which consumers say "3MP w00t!") but at the expense of sensitivity, which renders it pretty useless unless you are braced somewhere and taking a picture of a non-moving subject.

I had high hopes for this camera, but I really am disappointed.

Upvote 0
Something interesting about the back cover. It covers the lens - and protects with another clear piece of plastic. Someone with some time on their hands could make a replacement back cover with some kind of optical enhancement... extra light capture, zoom, etc. Some simple optics would do the trick. Also the software ideas discussed like post processing and accelerometer calc can make a big difference. One thing that would help is if different button could be used. The photo button is hard to push, you do not know if it is focusing or you are waiting for the photo. What about an external flash? Lots of Ideas pop in that a third party could do. But who knows what the g2 or equivilent will bring.

Upvote 0
The photo button isn't hard to push if you understand how it works. It's a two stage button, but not really. :) The autofocus part of the button is on the left side of the button (you facing the screen). What I do is press on the left side to focus, and then roll my finger to the right to take the picture. I've gotten much better results using the "roll method".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones