• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help An app corrupted my original systemUI.apk file :-/

j006

Sup guys. I downloaded an update to an app, called Quick Notification, which apparently corrupted that file somehow and my status bar has gone missing. I've tried everything except for a hard reset, which I do NOT want to do at this point.

Can someone pull the /system/app/systemUI.apk file from their INC 2 for me?

Also, can this apk just be installed directly, or do I have to use another method. I'm not rooted, if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Sup guys. I downloaded an update to an app, called Quick Notification, which apparently corrupted that file somehow and my status bar has gone missing. I've tried everything except for a hard reset, which I do NOT want to do at this point.

Can someone pull the /system/app/systemUI.apk file from their INC 2 for me?

Also, can this apk just be installed directly, or do I have to use another method. I'm not rooted, if that makes a difference.

Cheers
This file sits in a read-only partition of the file system, an app cannot corrupt it, although it can corrupt it's settings. Even if you get a copy of the file you cannot install it without root access and being able to mount the system partition read-write. You are best off to do the factory reset.

My Backup makes it easy to restore the current state of your phone after a factory reset.
Except doing this often restores the problem as well, which often defeats the purpose of doing the factory reset in the first place... it is best to Factory Reset and then setup everything again manually... if you are using Google services to their full potential a factory reset is a simple process.

MyBackup Pro is a great tool if used correctly, but it can often be more headache then it worth when trying to fix a misbehaving app by Factory Reset.

I did a mini-guide to doing a factory reset for the Rezound, all the basic principals are the same for the Inc2, if anyone is interested in it I can link or copy it here.

Except doing this often restores the problem as well, which often defeats the purpose of doing the factory reset in the first place... it is best to Factory Reset and then setup everything again manually... if you are using Google services to their full potential a factory reset is a simple process.

MyBackup Pro is a great tool if used correctly, but it can often be more headache then it worth when trying to fix a misbehaving app by Factory Reset.
Indeed, I'm using the Google cloud services whenever possible, but it's mainly the legacy install versions of Tasker and Google Voice that I'm worried about losing..

Can you backup apps with a file manager on an unrooted phone? MyBackup does work unrooted.
I just tried it, and it seemed to work backing up all the apks...We shall see! The reason I never rooted in the first place was that I didn't want to go thru the process of downgrading first, but I think I may just go ahead and do it now that I have to hard reset anyway!

Remember that you can always push apps to your phone from the Play Store via your computer... this is the way I do it. Once the phone is back up and the manual restore stuff is done like Contacts, SMS, Messages, etc. I open Play Store, install all updates, then close Play Store, go to my PC and just push the apps to the phone from there. With a fast WiFi connection or 4G this process goes pretty quick.

Back
Top Bottom