• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 13 Security locks workaround

Johncoool

After I ran the latest update on my Android 13. It changed some system settings to the better but it also locked up the system and cannot change basic things.

I am no longer able to allow restricted settings. The three dots that had that option is gone from the app in the phone settings.

The 2nd issue is that I am unable to find a way to stop Mic and Camera 100%.

There are apps that allow to control that from the notification area.

It won't lock up all the way properly. Some apps are still able to access the camera. So that could also mean that all can.

Please give tips on how to solve it short of rooting the device because it is still brand new and under warranty.

Could be the update caused glitches and/or the software configuration got messed up. That has been known on a few occasions. Maybe try resetting the device?

You shouldn't need to root it, which would be very difficult, probably impossible to do.

Yeah a Doogee Tablet U10 Pro. I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for someone knowledgeable with this device on this forum.

Try hitting up the manufacturer's customer support?

Good luck.

You possibly don't appreciate how non-standard some of the things you ask are, e.g. an option to "allow restricted settings" is something I've never met natively on any android device. So I assume this is (or was) a Doogee addition, but since I don't know which settings you want to allow it's impossible to suggest much. And if they really are locked by the OS now then unless Doogee are truly incompetent you won't be able to do anything without rooting.

If denying the permissions to all apps isn't enough for you then the only suggestion I can make for mic and camera access is to cover them. If there are apps that can enable the permissions or bypass the restrictions, and you can't remove those apps and be sure that you don't have any others installed that can do this, then I don't think any software solution will satisfy you.

Are there any known ADB bridge commands for me to try. I used one that helped in controlling themes.

But I need an Android 13 expert to give me good tips.

I rooted 3 devices in the past but I won't be doing this again with this Tablet any time soon.

Are there any known ADB bridge commands for me to try. I used one that helped in controlling themes.
ADB commands are well documented on the web. But it's not clear precisely what you want: what "restricted settings" do you want to change? Is "restricted settings" DooGee's name for Developer Options, or is it something else? Your first post talks of the 3 dot menu being gone from "the app" but doesn't say which app. Without knowing precisely what you want to do it's hard to suggest anything more than "look at the adb documentation and see if there's anything that looks helpful".
But I need an Android 13 expert to give me good tips.
Or you might need a DooGee expert. There are always differences between "android X" and "manufacturer Y's software based on android X for device Z", and people commonly assume that when a feature changes with an update it's an Android change when very often it's a manufacturer change that comes in the same update (as manufacturers often change their UIs at the same time).

Back
Top Bottom