• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 2.3.6 ota is here. Just downloaded mine

Got it last night, had to check. No noticable difference except for the blue overlay when hitting the end of things, a slightly faster startup time and they got rid of that double tap home command (which I've been waiting for). My og droid lagged so many times that I got used to douvle tapping home just to load all the icons and I still occasionally do that.

Upvote 0
Thought I would add my update. Unrooted my phone and applied the update and it worked. I could not get root after though so I flashed back to stock 2.3.4 and this time rooted with super one click 2.3.2. I just tried the update again and it took AND retained root. The folks like me that rooted this puppy via flashing the CWM kernel are failing the install of 2.3.6. But like jdCaptivate, if you flash it back to stock and root with the latest superoneclick then upgrade you should be ok.

Upvote 0
Thought I would add my update. Unrooted my phone and applied the update and it worked. I could not get root after though so I flashed back to stock 2.3.4 and this time rooted with super one click 2.3.2. I just tried the update again and it took AND retained root. The folks like me that rooted this puppy via flashing the CWM kernel are failing the install of 2.3.6. But like jdCaptivate, if you flash it back to stock and root with the latest superoneclick then upgrade you should be ok.

Piece of cake.

Upvote 0
I am also experiencing poor battery life. The only change is the software update to 2.3.6. I have noticed that with prior versions my largest battery drain was the display; now my largest battery use is the Android OS itself. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ditto.

I also did a full drain/recharge cycle after the upgrade.

Upvote 0
I am also experiencing poor battery life. The only change is the software update to 2.3.6. I have noticed that with prior versions my largest battery drain was the display; now my largest battery use is the Android OS itself. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Good (in a way) to know it's just not me. But I see the same thing: Android OS is the big drain right now.

However, wi-fi seems to be better. Previously I'd get two "waves" of wi-fi while sitting in my office. Now I'm getting a full 3, and nothing else has changed.

Upvote 0
One of the reasons for poor battery life after the update may be because it resets the screen brightness setting. For those of you experiencing lesser than normal battery life after the update, check the auto-brightness and maybe turn it down a bit.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but mine's on AUTO, and it's always been on AUTO.

When looking at the battery usage, it's around 85% Android OS and only 3% cell standby, so it's not that it's busy looking for a signal.

Wonder what's up.

Upvote 0
One of the reasons for poor battery life after the update may be because it resets the screen brightness setting. For those of you experiencing lesser than normal battery life after the update, check the auto-brightness and maybe turn it down a bit.

Hope this helps.

Nope.. my display setting is the same.

But........what a difference a day makes..... I'm now seeing the android OS with a severe increase in battery usage.

Android OS is now at 73%...

Display is at 14%

Is it possible that the battery usage reporting is just a little messed up and somehow the descriptions are misreporting?

As in, android OS is really the display and the display is really the Android OS?

I'll see how usage is throughout the day and if battery drain has increased overall.

Upvote 0
I'm seeing the same problem with battery life after the 2.3.6 update, which came in on Monday Dec 19. Previously I could go a full 2 days between charges if my usage was light, now I can barely make it through 1. All settings are the same as far as I can tell. Yesterday I tried going an entire day using the phone as little as possible, and by the evening my battery was at 30% and Android OS had used 93% of the total... I don't think it could be the display since I wasn't using it. With normal use, I can't even make it through the day without a charge now. This isn't an acceptable situation for me... I'm really hoping someone can suggest what's gone wrong. I'll keep experimenting to see what I can figure out, but I'm rather new to Android (the Galaxy S2 is my first, got it in October). Is there a way to look at CPU usage of individual tasks, similar to the task manager on Windows?

Upvote 0
Why all the rush to upgrade? If you don't use the screen lock anyway, what reason is there? I'll wait and see what ELSE in in the upgrade before I'll accept it. My 2.3.4 is working too well to jump on an unknown.
I too have assumed the vulture position. :D

Judging from people reporting battery issues, I'll wait before deciding on upgrade. I'm very happy with battery life right now, not worth losing that for the improvements listed for this upgrade.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones