• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 5.0.2 rollout begins

Slug

Check six!
Aug 1, 2009
Inverness, UK
Sony today began rolling out the Android 5.x (Lollipop) update long-promised for the Xperia Z.

Currently only available OTA (over-the-air) in a few selected locales, the updates are about 700MB big and sweeten the Xperia Z with Android 5.0.2 Lollipop OS among other improvements such as:

• Android 5.0.2 Lollipop
  • Google Material design across the UI and compatible apps
  • Intelligent lock screen notifications and customizable settings
  • Support for multi-user profiles and guest mode
  • Move apps to SD card option
(Via GSMArena)

Lollipop (5.02) is avilable for Sony Xperia Z .Who have Sony Xperia z (c6603) please go to your mobile update center.Download the latest version lollipop and enjoy it.
Its ......
Baseband version
9x15A-ACEFWMAZQ-30110212-82
Kernel version
3.4.0-perf-g8fa3dae
BuildUser@BuildHost #1
wed Apr 8 17:43:10 2015
Build number
10.6.A.0.454

Upvote 0
Lollipop (5.02) is avilable for Sony Xperia Z

It is available for some regional versions, but by no means all yet. I have a generic unlocked C6603 (
1270-7689) and the 5.0.2 update hasn't been released yet.

A dedicated member named Apollo89 maintains an up-to-date firmware release thread here @ XDADevelopers. Bookmark it for future reference, and hang a "thanks" on the OP to acknowledge his hard work.

Upvote 0
It really is a fantastic update. Sony did a great job on it in my opinion.

If anyone doesn't want to wait for it to hit their country, you can flash firmware from a region that does have it. I have a guide on how to download and flash any region's firmware on XDA here if anyone wants to do so. (I hope it's OK to link to it here. If not a moderator can remove the link).

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
You might be interested that it has released for Generic UK (1270-7689) now.

Just be aware that the only way to root this firmware currently without unlocking your bootloader is by KingRoot that's a little untrustworthy to say the least. It sends your device IMEI to their server and installs several Chinese apps to your device that are hard to remove including their own superuser app.

If you have an unlockable bootloader then it's a different story. :)

Reactions: Slug
Upvote 0
[...] the only way to root this firmware currently without unlocking your bootloader is by KingRoot [...]

Yeah, I'm not touching that can of worms with a bargepole.

I'd hoped to simply create a pre-rooted .ftf but I note that Nut's XZDualRecovery causes a bootloop in 5.0.2. I've never been keen on rooting without a recovery to fall back on in case of trouble, so unless I can find a version of TWRP/CWM that works I'll forgo the joys of Lollipop until I've upgraded handset later this month and can be bothered unlocking the bl.

Reactions: kingvortex
Upvote 0
Yeah, my Z is out of warranty now anyway and I have an upgrade due myself, so I backed up my TA partition and unlocked the bootloader before flashing Lollipop. I then had a simple way to root without dealing with possible unsafe software.

Still undecided on what to upgrade to. The Z has been so good, so I'm looking at another Xperia unless something else wows me.

Upvote 0
I backed up my TA partition and unlocked the bootloader before flashing Lollipop

Doh! I forgot about that solution... sweet. :)

The Z has been so good, so I'm looking at another Xperia unless something else wows me.

I've pretty much settled on the Z3+. I like what Sony are doing with their handsets, and having enjoyed the Z so much want to see where they go with the next generation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones