• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android forums privacy

KBU2

Android Expert
Is browsing through the internet like I normally do on a daily basis and stumbled upon this that took me by surprise because I wasn't aware something like this had ever happened.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/android-forums-hacked-1-million-user-credentials-stolen/

Did anyone get down to the source of this and find out how it happened? , because I'm curious to find out how and why it happened and what steps was taken to prevent a privacy breach like this to happen again in the future?

Nobody here will know the technical details of how it happened, or what measures were taken to rectify it. And even if they did, those details would not be revealed in the open forum. But you can be sure that any security holes were plugged. This breach is 7 years old, and nothing similar has happened since then, so I think we can rest assured that the problem was solved.

Nobody here will know the technical details of how it happened, or what measures were taken to rectify it. And even if they did, those details would not be revealed in the open forum. But you can be sure that any security holes were plugged. This breach is 7 years old, and nothing similar has happened since then, so I think we can rest assured that the problem was solved.

Considering one doesn't know everybody, . But anyone can speculate with a feeble attempt in cobbling an opinion. But in hindsight that's all it is, is an opinion. But I'm really impressed that anyone so gallantly want to step forward in answering such a complex question when in actuality they really don't have a clue on what they're talking about.

Having your credentials/identity compromised is something that happens in today's online world.

Blame it on insecure OS/platforms, developer laziness or errors, user laziness or bad habits, or a smarter class of bad guys. The problem isn't going away anytime soon.

Personally, I consider every login I have as a potential breach and weigh the amount of effort to secure it vs. the outcome of that information being cracked/hacked. For things like fan forums where I provide minimal personal information, it's not so critical. Most of that information is out there about me with a simple Google search. For things at the other end of the spectrum like online financials or government or employment records, I use long complex passwords with 2-step verification. And, I check periodically and don't just assume things are safe.

For a quick check, enter your primary email that you use for online activity here. I found to database breaches that I didn't know about ... both were from verification services for other websites, so the security guys get hacked, too. :(

Having your credentials/identity compromised is something that happens in today's online world.

Blame it on insecure OS/platforms, developer laziness or errors, user laziness or bad habits, or a smarter class of bad guys. The problem isn't going away anytime soon.

Personally, I consider every login I have as a potential breach and weigh the amount of effort to secure it vs. the outcome of that information being cracked/hacked. For things like fan forums where I provide minimal personal information, it's not so critical. Most of that information is out there about me with a simple Google search. For things at the other end of the spectrum like online financials or government or employment records, I use long complex passwords with 2-step verification. And, I check periodically and don't just assume things are safe.

For a quick check, enter your primary email that you use for online activity here. I found to database breaches that I didn't know about ... both were from verification services for other websites, so the security guys get hacked, too. :(

Best website hands down...

As far as your concern, I'm sorry if you felt like it wasn't taken seriously. I can assure you Ownership, Admin (both former and present), and staff, took that very seriously. Apologies if any comments made you feel otherwise.

What I can say, vulnerabilities in vBulletin were absolutely to blame, and *several* (including vbulletins own forum.site) experienced breaches. This was absolutely one of the reasons we moved completely off vBulletin and on to this current platform, Xenforo.

Emails were unfortunately compromised (i believe, haven't went back and dug through details)as well as hashed passwords *i think*, but all the pertinent details were shared at the time and should be in the links provided in this thread.

Admin and Mod Staff are more than willing to discuss any concerns our members have.

I checked that out and was pwnd too.. 2 breaches I'm not even sure HOW I'm connected to them either

I checked that out and was pwnd too.. 2 breaches I'm not even sure HOW I'm connected to them either

I have some randoms in there as well. Doesn't help there are 'collection 1 & 2' in there now as well. I have like 12, most are sites I'm familiar with.

Def signed up for notifications and checked every email I own.

Back
Top Bottom