• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Newbie

Hello All,

So, i've orderd my HTC Hero, and am expecting delivery next week. :D
Previously i've had WinMo, BlackBerry, Symbian, Java. but never Android. A lad on my team got a G1 when it was launched and i've spent the last 18 months winding him up about it!

But when i had a play with a Hero last week, i must say i was really impressed. Being an Apple fan, i was going to get an iPhone, but after using the hero, and then coupled with the fact i could get the hero for free my mind was made up!

Just need to find some decent apps now :)

Hello All,

Previously i've had WinMo, BlackBerry, Symbian, Java. but never Android. A lad on my team got a G1 when it was launched and i've spent the last 18 months winding him up about it!

But when i had a play with a Hero last week, i must say i was really impressed. Being an Apple fan, i was going to get an iPhone, but after using the hero, and then coupled with the fact i could get the hero for free my mind was made up!

Welcome to the AF forums and enjoy your visits !! :cool:

Upvote 0
Hello All,

Apps, I'd say to start with - Apex Uninstaller, Astro File Manager, Barcode Scanner, Better Cut, Google Goggles, Handcent SMS, Math Alarm Clock, Movies, Ringdroid, ShootU!, SoundHound, and TasKiller.

Those are great apps, and I'm sure you'll love them too, welcome to the forums and good luck with Android, I'm quite sure that you'll enjoy far more than Apple convincing you that taking your lots of your money away from you was fun! ;)

Good luck and if you need help, PM me!

Upvote 0
Hi and welcome on board to the android

This imho is the start of a bright future for android , but stay tuned , i would say to try shopsavy and waze if you drive but if not then maybe later for you, in addition to this i would highly recommend layar.

i was on windows mobile before on the orange spv c500 then i went over to the android platform and havent looked back since , also i had tom tom mobile navigator but left that behind too as updates cost money and also they stopped supporting the spv c500 with all the updates which i thought was very bad on there part as when i bought the tom tom mobile navigator my money got them started in this business and all other people who paid , so i will be watching what i buy from people in the future and make sure there are updates.

But we are all waiting on the updates to eclair so we can have all the things that are missing from the htc hero at the moment but i am sure it will be fixed in the future updates.

word of warning orange may not be able to update the rom if it doesnt work with there ****in stupid orange logo which is a pain in the back side if you know what i mean but maybe it will all work

watch this space as they say and keep an eye on future update on htc website or the orange website

thanks

ian

Upvote 0
Thought you may like this too as this is a wee update for the htc hero if you have below this

ROM upgrade for HTC Hero (Orange)

this was released this year so you may need this update

word of warning don't just use any usb cable use the cable that came with the htc hero as this is the mistake i made when i got my htc hero at first.

one bad thing about the htc hero is no flash and unless you have light then the photos will be dark.

another app which is good is qik search on the android market

if i can be of anymore help then just reply

thanks

ian

Upvote 0
Thanks for your Post Ian, i'm guessing from the above your in the UK same as me.

Had a quick google, must admit waze concerned me slighty, it seems to track users but more importantly they're speed - i sometimes have a leadfoot on the loud peddle!! ;)

My Hero is on Orange, will keep an eye out for updates.

Oh, by the way, C500 was a good phone too, i had the Orignal SPV (i think they've renamed it SPV Classic now)

Reactions: ianmccully1
Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply mate,

yes i am in the uk outside glasgow, not it doesnt it is for people to give information about your streets , but wait and get the app and then tell me what you were telling me below , you will see what i mean when you get the app, there is a place in the app where we all share police radars and things like that so you are not caught speeding read the tweets and see this website.

www.waze.com

Waze Blog - news about our free social mobile app and other bits from the road

Waze User's Blog

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones