• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Phone Chimes Unexpectedly!

Hi everyone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2. I don't know what I have done to it, but every once in a while it chimes by making a Bing sound (like the sound of a door bell), and I haven't a clue where it is coming from. I have uninstalled every clock and alarm clock I had installed, and removed every calendar event, but it is still doing it. The chimes do not seen to occur at regular intervals. Sometimes an hour or more seem to pass and it doesn't chime, and sometimes it happens at a few minutes interval. I can't figure out what is causing it. Any suggestions how I can find out and fix it will be appreciated.

Hi everyone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2. I don't know what I have done to it, but every once in a while it chimes by making a Bing sound (like the sound of a door bell), and I haven't a clue where it is coming from. I have uninstalled every clock and alarm clock I had installed, and removed every calendar event, but it is still doing it. The chimes do not seen to occur at regular intervals. Sometimes an hour or more seem to pass and it doesn't chime, and sometimes it happens at a few minutes interval. I can't figure out what is causing it. Any suggestions how I can find out and fix it will be appreciated.

Welcome. Check your notification settings.

I have had the same issue on 3 android phones now havent clue whats causing it, Even after flashing new roms the noise was there lol
There is never anything in the notifcation bar when mine does it

Welcome. Check your notification settings.

Thanks. I checked. The notification is set to make a different kind of sound, which is not nearly so annoying; and it doesn't happen so often and unexpectedly either. There must be something else causing it--I think.

I have had the same issue on 3 android phones now havent clue whats causing it, Even after flashing new roms the noise was there lol
There is never anything in the notifcation bar when mine does it

That doesn't mean it's not a notification. I know several people who have settings like "network" notification, "wifi network" notification, "location compass (unavailable)" warning or google latitude auto check in notification, etc., etc., etc. etc. on and don't realize that's what is making the sound on their device.

Not saying this is the case here, but many times people just turn on their devices without taking one look at the users guide or taking the time to go adjust each setting to ensure the device is performing the way they want, not default out of the box.

Thanks. I checked. The notification is set to make a different kind of sound, which is not nearly so annoying; and it doesn't happen so often and unexpectedly either. There must be something else causing it--I think.

You checked each notification setting? network? Mobile? Wifi? Individual app settings? Be sure to check everything.

There is a default notification sound and then each app has their own notification setting as well. Normally there should be some indication on the notification bar. I assume that is not the case for you. You may have to go into every app and check the notification setting and see which one is set to that bing sound.

You checked each notification setting? network? Mobile? Wifi? Individual app settings? Be sure to check everything.

Thank you. Found it! It was a notification! It was coming from an app I installed to find and automatically connect to BT free wi-fi hotspots. Thanks to you it has now been killed off!

I knew it. You're welcome. Don't be a stranger here.

Thank you. Now I have lost the beautiful clock wiget I had on my home screen. :( I don't think I actually deleted it. It disappeared by itself when I deleted my old alarm clock and replaced it with a different one. Now I don't know how to get it back. I don't know what it was called, and there are hundreds of clocks in the app store. Any ideas?

Thank you. Now I have lost the beautiful clock wiget I had on my home screen. :( I don't think I actually deleted it. It disappeared by itself when I deleted my old alarm clock and replaced it with a different one. Now I don't know how to get it back. I don't know what it was called, and there are hundreds of clocks in the app store. Any ideas?

Open your app drawer and then select widgets. Then scroll through all of the widgets until you see the clock widget you had before. I doubt you uninstalled it. You probably just removed it from the home screen.

Well, it's now 2021, and you folks back there in 2012 won't believe who's in the Whit - - nevermind - but this anonymous chime is still happening! I've got the Galaxie S9, and it's been treating me with an occasional 3-chime "Church chime" sound that I can't fi anywhere in the phone.

Well, it's now 2021, and you folks back there in 2012 won't believe who's in the Whit - - nevermind - but this anonymous chime is still happening! I've got the Galaxie S9, and it's been treating me with an occasional 3-chime "Church chime" sound that I can't fi anywhere in the phone.
have you checked your notifications? how long has this been going on? recently? since day one?

My wife and I got these phones probably three years ago, and they've been pretty good. Hers has never done this chime thing, and mine just started. Three distinct church bell chimes, like a carillon, and like it was three o'clock, and then nothing. I've checked every screen for changes, and there are no notices, nothing lit up, nothing shows in any of the notification or header panels, including mail or messages. I can't even find this response in any of the sound file menus, although we've not lost any didgits.

Last edited:
Is there an app to search notifications? What is the use of a notification if the user has to delve to find the source, or cannot find the source at all? These loud chimes are nothing but a nuisance. If my phone were not rented I would say why not smash it?

Back
Top Bottom