• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android phone won't charge on laptop

Cinque8

Nov 6, 2016
Hello,

I have an Android 11 cell phone and a Dell Inspiron 3520 laptop computer..

For a few years, I would charge my cell phone, using a USB cable, on my laptop. But for some reason, my cell phone will not charge on my laptop anymore. I have tried using different laptop ports. But my phone still charges using a portable charger or a wall socket.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thank you.

Hi Richard,

Just to give an update. I did eventually get USB debugging up and running, but that didn't solve the problem. I tried everything from using different ports, using different cables. I cleaned the port on my phone with a toothpick and compressed air, but nothing fixed the problem. I did have a repair warranty on my phone with T-mobile, so I took the phone back to them to see if they could repair it. But they just gave me an identical pre-owned phone. Well, this phone works perfectly, and charges on my laptop. So now I am wondering if the way that I disconnected the phone from my laptop was the reason that the port failed?

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones