• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android w/ phone and wifi only (no data plan)

nlyang

Lurker
May 25, 2010
Hi All,

I have a couple questions about an unusual usage model for android smartphones:

Does anyone use a phone-only plan with their android smartphones? And then use wifi for data?

In other words, can I place my at&t simcard, which only has phone service (no dataplan), in an unlocked android smartphone (e.g., N1) and have a functioning cellular phone?

Is there anything that I can only download over a cellular dataplan (as opposed to a wifi connection)? For example, over-the-air updates?

Thanks for your advice,
Neil

I believe AT&T will automatically "upgrade" you to a data plan soon after you put the phone on the network.
I switched from a Samsung Eternity with its $20 a month data plan. I then fired up my Backflip and a couple hours later got an SMS saying that my plan was incorrect and upgraded me to the $30 one.
I am not sure if i triggered it by logging into MyWireless, if it found out from my data use( should have been on Wifi since i was set up in my house with wifi)

Reactions: nlyang
Upvote 0
Does anyone use a phone-only plan with their android smartphones? And then use wifi for data? You can do that if you want. But you will miss out on a lot of stuff once you are away from a wifi connected area. I know someone who uses his phone with no plans at all. Where he lives, he's got free wifi coverage (optimum online in Long Island, NY) EVERYWHERE he goes so he just has GV service. Of course he won't get much once he is out of Long Island.

In other words, can I place my at&t simcard, which only has phone service (no dataplan), in an unlocked android smartphone (e.g., N1) and have a functioning cellular phone? Yes.

Is there anything that I can only download over a cellular dataplan (as opposed to a wifi connection)? For example, over-the-air updates? You should be able to get any downloads via wifi including ota updates.

Reactions: nlyang
Upvote 0
I was given a used HTC Droid Eris from a friend and did not have to "upgrade" my 2 year agreement..However, when I activated the phone, Verizon automatically put me on the $29.99 data plan. They said had to have the plan if I wanted to use that phone.

Hi All,

I have a couple questions about an unusual usage model for android smartphones:

Does anyone use a phone-only plan with their android smartphones? And then use wifi for data?

In other words, can I place my at&t simcard, which only has phone service (no dataplan), in an unlocked android smartphone (e.g., N1) and have a functioning cellular phone?

Is there anything that I can only download over a cellular dataplan (as opposed to a wifi connection)? For example, over-the-air updates?

Thanks for your advice,
Neil

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones