• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Animated GIFs in MMS - not receiving at all

fightingirish

Someone attempted to send me a MMS message the other day with one of those sparkly "Happy 4th Of July" messages on it. The next day, she asked why I didn't respond to her text. To which I replied "What text?" Led to a brief screwball comedy moment until I realized, 'hey, if I can send/receive pics, lo-res video and even small mp3 files via text, why not simple little animated .gif files? My old phone, a cheap LG flip, could receive and play these files, why not a souped-up Android phone?

This is not an issue of the phone not playing the file. It's a matter of the phone NOT getting the mms message at all (she sent it from an iphone, and found the stock image on her messaging app).

Anyone else experience this issue?

Did you have 3g enabled at the time of her sending? A data connection is required to send or receive MMS

Absolutely. I even had her resend, while I sent her a few test MMS messages. I think she sent them directly from an iphone messaging app.

I just tried to send myself a MMS and I also didn't receive it either. Maybe they're MMS service is down.

I know there's a size limit (can't remember offhand what that is), and I thought I read somewhere that there's no animated gif support.... but I could be way off base on that one. I can't really find anything about it (at least not enough to satisfy me) in a Google search.

Edit: Just tested this... I can send a cell wallpaper (222kb) to my roommate and it goes through, but the animated smilie (35x35 4.24kb) gif I sent did not show up as animated. It went through, but no animation can be seen. It is, however, animated when I view it in the phones browser.

I think that animated gifs are not supported in MMS.

Weird thing is, I didn't get it at all both times. No message, no file, nada. Not even a still picture. I've heard some stories about animated .gifs (which is what I assume the file she sent is -- she's rather tech-adverse like most people are) not being supported in Android on MMS's (though supported on some Android browsers). Weird thing is, I have gotten those kinds of graphics on my old dumbphone (also an LG).

It could possibly be the iphone app she used.

i could send videos i could not recieve them on my optimus. however, after doing the following i received a video but will let you know if it craps out: 1) settings 2) applications 3) allow mock locations (check this off). just wanted to let you all know this because it boggled me as to why i could send but not receive very short videos.

Back
Top Bottom