• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any app so one phone can track another in real time?

Kelemvor

So I'm participating in a Triathlon tomorrow. I generally use CardioTrainer while I do the bike and run. I also have Google Latitude on my phone as well.

I'm looking for an app that my wife can use on her phone so she can see where I am in as close to real-time as possible. If we both need to install something, we can definitely do that.

Any suggestions?

Check out Glympse! My wife and I use it pretty regularly. It allows you to send a "Glympse" of where you are at for some specified period of time and the positioning can be viewed on another mobile phone or on a computer screen.

Glympse - Share Your Where

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.glympse.android.glympse&hl=en

The biggest issue is whether your battery will last long enough while running the GPS...

That actually look neat. Have to see if it runs right on my wife's Optimus S. Does it drain any more battery to have multiple programs using GPS at one time? I'm assuming if GPS is on, it's on, and any program can access the data...

It's the GPS receiver & processor that use up energy to calculate position. The apps that position data probably use relatively little energy (unless they keep the screen lit).

Not sure how Glympse works, but depending on your GPS-battery-life, you might want an app, like Google's Latitude, that would temporarily turn on your GPS receiver for a snapshot of your location whenever your wife pings you.

Lookout (which is an antivirus/anti-theft program) lets you track a phone real-time on a map on a web browser. But that uses a lot of juice.

Well, since my GPS will be on the entire time tracking my workout anyway...

If you use Latitude and do the Ping thing, does the receiver have to acknowledge it at all or it just updates automatically?

I'll have to do a test with CardioTrainer and Glympse running at the same time and see what happens with the battery...

Back