• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root any help would be great

bostoniansurvivor

I just now rooted and installed cwm 6.0.1.2 for a friend of mine. I was surprised to find that the market or play store wasn't included in the rom. I've looked everywhere I can think of and I can't find how to get the market. Is there an apk that I'm missing? The recent apks don't work because apparently they aren't supported. Any help is greatly appreciated. The play store was one of the main reasons he asked me to root it.

First of all, one post in a forum is enough. :D

What guide did you use? Was it current? (Got a link?)

Assuming you just rooted your stock rom and didn't install a custom rom, Play Store should be in your list of apps, as should SuperUser.

OTOH, if you flashed a custom rom like CyanogenMod, then you also need to flash the Google Apps.

Sorry about the double post. I didn't initially realize I'd posted in the wrong place and at that hour my brain wasn't working properly. I used your guide with CMW posted in this forum. Where can I get the apps to flash?

I downloaded and placed the proper file on the sdcard of the nook color but I can't seem to get the nook to boot into recovery so I can flash the gapps...

Running CyanogenMod Version 10.1.3.2-encore

When I hold the N button and choose to boot into recovery it simply allows me the opportunity to return the nook to stock and reformat, which is obviously not my intention.

Sounds like you're booting into the stock recovery.

Which guide again did you use (link)? There are several.

... and what files exactly did you flash?

Sounds like you're booting into the stock recovery.

Which guide again did you use (link)? There are several.

... and what files exactly did you flash?

I used what now appears to be an older guide you had posted. For the life of me i cant find the post i used at this time. I flashed cyanogen mod 10.1.3.2 encore and am trying to boot into recovery to flash gapps.

How did you install it?

1. You replaced the stock rom with CM10 (aka installed to EMMC).
  2. Installed CM10 to the SD card, leaving the stock rom on the device (installed to SD). (If you remove the sdcard, it'll boot the Nook software.)
All SD installs eventually fail as the card is often only good for about a year.

Here's a good guide for roms installed to the SD: [GUIDE] Nook Color Installation Guide for CM7/CM9/CM10/CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 on SD - xda-developers (you copy the gApps to the sdcard and boot off of it to install.)

For EMMC install, you should be able to copy the gApps to the sdcard you used to flash CM10 to your Nook, boot off the card and flash it like you did the rom. Then you might be able to install Goo Manager or Rom manager and flash TWRP (from Goo) or CWM (from RM) to get a working recovery.

I'm guessing you did the EMMC install, replacing your stock rom with CM10.

Using the knowledge you so helpfully imparted upon me I was able to get it running like a champ.

Now I have a very different and more difficult problem. I rooted a nook a LONG time ago for my mom using autonooter. After a long time of not really using the nook color she finally wants to sit down and use the darn thing. Problem is that none of the apps work and nothing will download from the market because the software is so old. I no longer have a backup of the original stock rom. It is running sofware 1.1.0 and I'd like to update that and flash a new rom to match the one I just did because now I'm familiar with that. Any suggestions?

I flashed it to bn 1.4.3 and then re rooted it and set up cyanogenmod 10.1.3.2 like I did on the other nook color and now it has been stuck in a boot loop for about two hours :(

Back
Top Bottom