• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any network LAN, wifi, etc gurus?

skearton

I would like my triumph to pick up a dynamic IP in my work place.

We are on a 255.255.0.0 subnet, and my phone grabs the same non-working IP everytime no matter which access point I use in the building (5). Wifi manager indicates that I am connected just fine.

I get the "no network" page in my browser, GV doesnt work, Play doesnt work, etc.

My tablet on honeycomb gets an IP and works perfect, all PC's in the network log on fine, Iphones work, etc.

I have 2 android devices, both mine, that wont work.

Honeycomb Galaxy tab works fine.

Froyo rooted Apad - grabs 10.122.1.22
Froyo/CM7/MIUI Rooted Triumph grabs 10.122.1.22 also.

IP is within scope
Gateway is correct
DNS is correct
DHCP is correct

All values are based on NetInfo from Play.

Any idea why this is going on? Think flashing Froyo stock would help? Does only Honeycomb and up support that subnet properly?

When DHCP came from the router it worked fine. When using the DHCP controller (server 2008 r2) is when I started experiencing the issue.

I thought it was a specific Android issue, but then my new Galaxy tab worked fine. :D

Does the Galaxy Tab pick up the same IP address as your other two devices? Is it in the same range?

My first thought was to release/renew the DHCP lease, as I figured it was seeing the Triumph's MAC address and giving it the same IP, but then you said your other device was getting the same IP.

I suppose it could be a Froyo issue, but I've never heard of that before.

Thanks for your attention and sorry for the late reply. My tablet gets an ip in the same scope but not that specific ip. Im not sure either... Shrug* :) I just got a different triumph due to a faulty microphone. My replacement does the same thing, and tries to grab that same IP. No idea... Lol

I have kind of a similar issue at home with my router. I got an app from the market called wi-fi fixer and my wi-fi connection seems to be more stable. This occurs for me in Gingerbread too so I don't think its a froyo issue. I do believe its an android issue however. My computers and ps3 connect fine but my phone seems to disconnect after about 10-15 minutes of use or if the screen locks. It says I'm still connected and I have full bars I just have no access to the internet. I have my wi-fi policy set to Never disconnect.

Anyways wi-fi fixer has helped, although I feel like it drains more battery, but that could just be wi-fi in general

Do you have access to the it folks? It would be interesting to see how your ARP looks on either the server or the router.

Basic troubleshooting begin by using terminal and ping your gateway IP and then your server. Then ping using a domain name to see if it resolves it. Also ping Google by IP not by domain name I would begin here and see what results you get.

Most network admins will not concentrate on a single device if all other devices on the net do not have issues. DHCP and IP routing have no issue with any IP subnet it would be an incomplete standard if it did. So I think you might have an issue not at layer 3 or higher of the OSI but at layer 2 where your Mac address comes into play and is crucial for LAN traffic. Hence I think you need to have someone look as I mentioned at the ARP table and see if your MAC and IP are being both associated with one another. Then again it might be something else.

When troubleshooting network issues work your way through the OSI reference model always do not start at the application layer but at the physical and work your way up to isolate the issue.

I would like my triumph to pick up a dynamic IP in my work place.

We are on a 255.255.0.0 subnet, and my phone grabs the same non-working IP everytime no matter which access point I use in the building (5). Wifi manager indicates that I am connected just fine.

I get the "no network" page in my browser, GV doesnt work, Play doesnt work, etc.

My tablet on honeycomb gets an IP and works perfect, all PC's in the network log on fine, Iphones work, etc.

I have 2 android devices, both mine, that wont work.

Honeycomb Galaxy tab works fine.

Froyo rooted Apad - grabs 10.122.1.22
Froyo/CM7/MIUI Rooted Triumph grabs 10.122.1.22 also.

IP is within scope
Gateway is correct
DNS is correct
DHCP is correct

All values are based on NetInfo from Play.

Any idea why this is going on? Think flashing Froyo stock would help? Does only Honeycomb and up support that subnet properly?

When DHCP came from the router it worked fine. When using the DHCP controller (server 2008 r2) is when I started experiencing the issue.

I thought it was a specific Android issue, but then my new Galaxy tab worked fine. :D

sounds like it's connecting to the network without internet access.. can you access network shares?

I can confirm that subnet should be no problem. I have a MT running the U9000 Froyo ROM (have also had it stock, CM7 GB, as well as a few other ones) with a network at work of 10.1.*.* ips, subnet 255.255.0.0 and gets DHCP lease no problem. Our DHCP server is the ISC one running on a Linux box though. In general, the MS Server DHCP server is kind of crummy. Likely that is the cause, but exactly what is going on could be harder to determine.

You might check with the IT guys and see if there is a free IP you can try to set statically just for a test and see if it is the DHCP or if there is just some weird routing issue with your phone.

Android in general has a few bugs with its DHCP client implementation:

Princeton DHCP bug report

So you might be seeing some of the effects of that.

Tried setting a static IP to no avail. I'll try the other suggestions next time I'm on site. Thank you all.

Back
Top Bottom