• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any tips for reducing data usage?

rui-no-onna

Android Enthusiast
Jul 19, 2011
I've got an LG Thrive on AT&T GoPhone prepaid service and I'd like to limit data usage to keep yearly cost to around $100 or so. In order to accomplish that, data use needs to be less than 90MB/30 days (~60MB/30 days preferable). Unfortunately, turning off data and using wi-fi isn't really an option (at least during the day).

I've already disabled automatic syncing for contacts and email. No Facebook or Twitter. Automatic updates have also been disabled for all apps. However, I need to have Background Data enabled for Google Voice SMS and Location Services for Family Locator.

According to 3G Watchdog Pro, both Google Voice and Family Locator use very little data. However, the overhead stuff can use up to 3MB/day.

What other steps can I take to minimize data usage?

According to 3G Watchdog Pro, both Google Voice and Family Locator use very little data. However, the overhead stuff can use up to 3MB/day.

What other steps can I take to minimize data usage?

Unfortunately that's probably as low as you are going to get it. You have a smart phone, which NEEDS the internet to be able to work properly. I personally use up to a gigabyte a day, and that's not including tethering to my laptop.

Upvote 0
Why isn't turning off data an option? You can have a homescreen button that toggles this, something like APN droid. Do you actually need 3g on all the time? You'll save much battery by enabling 3g the same way you would WiFi.

When you do browsing, try Boat browser mini, or Opera mini. These two will save data compared to using their (or other) browsers full version. Something about renderring pages serverside before giving them to you (?).

Upvote 0
Are you rooted? Because apps will periodically ping the internet if they have ads and whatnot. You do need something that will help you police your internet usage. So, if you are a root user, I'd suggest you download DroidWall. You can make it so most of your apps can freely access the internet if you're on wifi. But if you're on 3G, then only the apps you designate can access the internet. It's a really useful app. But again, root only.

Upvote 0
Why isn't turning off data an option? You can have a homescreen button that toggles this, something like APN droid. Do you actually need 3g on all the time? You'll save much battery by enabling 3g the same way you would WiFi.
Because my parents will be using the phones and where they'll be using them, there's no wi-fi. The phones are being used for texting via Google Voice and as a GPS tracker so a data connection of some sort is required when away from home. They tend to ignore their phones unless it makes a noise so I doubt they're going to be turning cellular data on and off just to check if they have messages.

When you do browsing, try Boat browser mini, or Opera mini. These two will save data compared to using their (or other) browsers full version. Something about renderring pages serverside before giving them to you (?).
The phones won't be used for internet browsing so this really isn't an issue.

Are you rooted? Because apps will periodically ping the internet if they have ads and whatnot. You do need something that will help you police your internet usage. So, if you are a root user, I'd suggest you download DroidWall. You can make it so most of your apps can freely access the internet if you're on wifi. But if you're on 3G, then only the apps you designate can access the internet. It's a really useful app. But again, root only.
Not rooted but I don't really have any apps installed on the phones aside from stock apps, Google Voice, GrooVe IP and Family Locator. When I check 3G Watchdog Pro, there's a number of processes bunched together and when I check the details, it just says Android System. This is what uses majority of data. Google Voice uses around 40KB/day, GrooVe IP 50KB/day (when there are no calls) and Family Locator 500KB/day.

I would install Juice Defender. Its default settings turn data off when your screen is off (and then on again when your screen is on or if you get push notifications).
Hmm, this actually sounds great. How does this work exactly? The smartphones need to be able to receive Google Voice SMS as they arrive. Will I be able to receive push notifications even with data off and no wi-fi? I also have one app set-up to upload location data every hour (ergo, internet access required). Will that still work with JuiceDefender?

Upvote 0
I don't know the technical details of how Juice Defender handles push notifications, only that it does.
I just checked and apparently, JuiceDefender isn't going to help. Internet access is required to receive push notifications and since JuiceDefender saves battery life by disabling 3G/Wi-Fi, the phone will only be able to receive push notifications based on a schedule you set in JuiceDefender. That means I'd either have to set really short intervals (which would make JuiceDefender effectively useless, imho) or live with long delays in receiving text messages (which is unacceptable).

Anyway, thank you for all the suggestions everyone. Looks like 2~3MB per day is the minimum for Android.

Upvote 0
I just checked and apparently, JuiceDefender isn't going to help. Internet access is required to receive push notifications and since JuiceDefender saves battery life by disabling 3G/Wi-Fi, the phone will only be able to receive push notifications based on a schedule you set in JuiceDefender. That means I'd either have to set really short intervals (which would make JuiceDefender effectively useless, imho) or live with long delays in receiving text messages (which is unacceptable).

Anyway, thank you for all the suggestions everyone. Looks like 2~3MB per day is the minimum for Android.

Why dont you just remove all apps that require an internet connection apart from those needed, and set those that cant be removed to manual refresh?

Upvote 0
Why dont you just remove all apps that require an internet connection apart from those needed, and set those that cant be removed to manual refresh?
Because all the apps have already been removed or set to manual refresh. The only thing that's left (aside from the apps we use) is the Android System. I can't really remove that now, can I?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately that's probably as low as you are going to get it. You have a smart phone, which NEEDS the internet to be able to work properly.

It doesn't NEED to be on the internet all the time though. I'm using an Android smart phone, it's only on the internet when I'm at home or in the school coffee bar via WiFi. Don't use any carrier data at all, I have it turned off.

In fact a smart phone only needs to be connected to the internet, if one is doing things that require internet connectivity, e.g. Facebook, web browsing, email, Foursquare, music streaming, etc.

I personally use up to a gigabyte a day, and that's not including tethering to my laptop.

When I need data for my laptop sometimes when out and about, I use a prepaid China Telecom CDMA/EVDO USB modem. Because it's the cheapest and fastest way of getting a laptop wirelessly connected to the internet here, if one is not using WiFi.

Upvote 0
It doesn't NEED to be on the internet all the time though. I'm using an Android smart phone, it's only on the internet when I'm at home or in the school coffee bar via WiFi. Don't use any carrier data at all, I have it turned off.

In fact a smart phone only needs to be connected to the internet, if one is doing things that require internet connectivity, e.g. Facebook, web browsing, email, Foursquare, music streaming, etc.
Unfortunately, since we're using the internet for texting (via Google Voice) and for GPS tracking, our smartphones need to be on the internet all the time (at least when away from home).

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, since we're using the internet for texting (via Google Voice) and for GPS tracking,

I use China Mobile's SMS service, no internet required. Don't know much about Google Voice except that it is USA only, like many of Google's services, e.g. Google Music. Email is not so important that I constantly need access to it, it can wait until I get home. If someone wants me in a hurry, they're far more likely to phone or SMS me.

I have maps I need on the SD card, downloaded and cached at home, again no internet needed. The GPS doesn't need internet to get a location fix. I'm sure if one is using GPS social network things like Foursquare or Latitude, then internet is definitely needed here.

our smartphones need to be on the internet all the time (at least when away from home).

Some might, e.g. SMS from Google Voice, but again I think it all depends on how we use our smart phones.

Upvote 0
I use China Mobile's SMS service, no internet required. Don't know much about Google Voice except that it is USA only, like many of Google's services, e.g. Google Music.
Yes, well, since we live in the USA, we do have access to Google Voice and that's what we use for messaging. We also get visual voicemail via the Google Voice app.

I have maps I need on the SD card, downloaded and cached at home, again no internet needed. The GPS doesn't need internet to get a location fix. I'm sure if one is using GPS social network things like Foursquare or Latitude, then internet is definitely needed here.
The internet isn't needed for the GPS to function. However, we do need it to upload location data so we know where family members are. That's what I meant by GPS tracking.

Some might, e.g. SMS from Google Voice, but again I think it all depends on how we use our smart phones.
Again, this is only in conjunction with how I plan to use the smartphone. For our set-up, 3G data is required for majority of the day. I'm not saying that internet access is required for a smartphone to function (although, where's the fun in that?), just that for my family's particular use case, we can't turn off 3G data when away from home.

Upvote 0
The internet isn't needed for the GPS to function. However, we do need it to upload location data so we know where family members are. That's what I meant by GPS tracking.

Do you use Latitude for that? Although for my family members whereabouts, they know I'm in Xilinhot, Inner Mongolia and they know I'll be in Beijing on business for a few days at the end of November. because I told them so via email. :)

Again, this is only in conjunction with how I plan to use the smartphone. For our set-up, 3G data is required for majority of the day. I'm not saying that internet access is required for a smartphone to function (although, where's the fun in that?), just that for my family's particular use case, we can't turn off 3G data when away from home.

I do use Google Calendar and Google Contacts on my smart phone, but that is generally synced with Google online when I get home.

Upvote 0
Actually, I think you can open your network when you need to use it, otherwise close it. And use WIFI is much better. In settings, you will find the account sync, check how many account you need to sync the date.
Again, parents using the phone. They can't really be trained to turn on/off cellular data at will. Again, no wi-fi available where the phones will be used (workplace and in the car) although they're set to connect to AT&T hotspots if, by chance, there's one available. Besides, I don't really fancy having to wait 4 hours or whenever they remember to enable 3G data for replies to my text messages.

Do you use Latitude for that? Although for my family members whereabouts, they know I'm in Xilinhot, Inner Mongolia and they know I'll be in Beijing on business for a few days at the end of November. because I told them so via email. :)
Nope. Life360. Didn't know about Google's Latitude. I think I'll try that one of these days. We basically just use Life360 to check in with family members that we've arrived safely to work/school/home/etc.

I do use Google Calendar and Google Contacts on my smart phone, but that is generally synced with Google online when I get home.
No to Google Calendar but we do use Google Contacts (so much more convenient than having to copy contacts via SIM card). I have Auto Sync disabled and now, I only do manual syncing when the phones are at home with wi-fi. When I did my initial tests (where I was getting usage 2~3MB/day), I think I had contact syncing enabled. Now that I have it disabled, the phones appear to be using less than 1MB per day which is much better and would leave enough bandwidth to allow for the occasional short call using Google Voice (via the GrooVe IP app).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones