• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Any way to default to MTP when you plug it into your PC?

It always goes to charging and I have to change it over every time.
I think I read some where that Android 6.X defaults to MTP and there is nothing that can be done. You have to manually select what you want.

Edit: oops. Sorry. I misread the title. How embarrassing [emoji15]

Last edited:
My G2 and G4 automatically are set to MTP,And I also think if you set your device for MTP,It should stay in that mode by default.

For the Nexus 5x, it does not default to MTP, and there is no way to set it to default to MTP, not even if you switch it in Developer Mode.

I'm with aysiu: I couldn't find a way to change the default from charge only.

Personally, I don't know why the default isn't MTP - I'm sure it used to be. Or maybe I managed to change it on my last phone.

I'm with aysiu: I couldn't find a way to change the default from charge only.

Personally, I don't know why the default isn't MTP - I'm sure it used to be. Or maybe I managed to change it on my last phone.

It's because of the multitude of USB configuration options available to the newer Nexus devices. It is possible to have MTP enabled by default, but it will require a modification to the device tree.

It's because of the multitude of USB configuration options available to the newer Nexus devices. It is possible to have MTP enabled by default, but it will require a modification to the device tree.
Why not let the users modify the default, then?

Back
Top Bottom