• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone familiar with BlueStacks?

fdbryant3

Android Expert
So a few months ago I bricked my Asus Transformer 300 while upgrading from CyanogenMod 10 (Jelly Bean) to 11 (KitKat). Annoying but what are you going to do.

Anyway I saw a deal on NewEgg for a refurbished Asus Transformer T100TA for $184 and decided that was to good to pass up. Now the thing is this is a Windows 8.1 hybrid - which I consider good since I wanted to get into playing with Windows as a mobile device. However the back of my mind goes what if there are things I miss from Android that I can't replace - which brings me to Bluestacks.

What has y'all's experience been with BlueStacks - in particular if you used on an Atom processor with 2GB of RAM.

Been a while since I played around with it.. on an older windows laptop. It worked, but was a bit on the clunky side. So if there was a particular app that you really need to run then it should be fine, however for most cases I was better off running a windows app instead.

Now things may have moved on since then performance-wise... but its free so give it a go.

Out of curiosity, what is it that you're trying to do that you can't replace with windows?

By Hybrid, you mean it's running full Windows Desktop version, but can detach from the keyboard as a tablet right? Which basically means there's almost nothing you'll miss from Android except games.

Yep, it is a detachable slate - basically like any other Asus Transformer and it is full Windows. I don't really expect to find anything I can't work around......it is more of a just in case thing, or just because it could be useful to have.

I'm also looking for an Android emulator to goof off with. The only issue I see is that it doesn't support Hyper-V which I use to run Win10TP now and then. It'll be a hassle to turn it on/off whenever I want to run Android under another VM Player. There's Andy, Genymotion and upcoming ConsoleOS (which I understand will run native). I'm sure there are others out there. I haven't tried any yet as I'm stil looking.

Back
Top Bottom