• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone not happy with M8, going back to a smaller phone?

jpcdmd

Been using my new M8 for two whole days now and I'm not sure I can get used to the size and shape of it. I'm coming off a HTC Rezound w/ extended battery and prior to that a HTC Thunderbolt w/ extended battery, both had HTC oem TPU cases on them. So after two years I'm used to holding bricks with bulging backsides, 4.3" screens and using them one-handed. Never had a problem with my rezound, it had just slowed down and I was eligible for an upgrade. And yes I lost my UDP when I upgraded :mad::mad:
The M8 feels too light in my hand, even with a thin case. Its slippery, and I have to two-hand it to reach the back arrow on the upper left corner of the screen. Takes me much longer to navigate around the thing. I've got two weeks to return it to Best Buy.

Anyone else find out his phone is not for you? What did you switch back to?

"So far, so Good." I have had the M8 for 3 (THREE) days and so far I am a 'Happy Camper'. Came from a LTE. I also have the HTC case which [excluding price] is awesome. Had to enter a few things manually that did not transfer with the HTC application, but so it goes. So far, only downside is that the M8 does not have a removable battery!

hi
m8 is great for me.. I've come from s3, so feels slightly heavier and well made to me

Been on the M8 for almost a month now, love the phone. You get used to the size after awhile, but nope, not trading it in. It is probably the best phone I have had.

What's the deal with people not wanting to use two hands with a phone? Everything else in this world is done with two hands..eating, driving, exercising, sports, video games, etc. I fly planes and I have to use two hands. Unless you are texting and driving is the only time your second hand isn't available which is very unsafe.

Convenience?

You don't hear athletes complaining because the basketball or football is too big for their hands. Yet, you see some of the biggest athletes with huge hands who have iPhones.

If you can't use this phone with one hand it's probably because you have small hands. I see women handling huge phones all the time. They just use two hands. I say ditch the phone if it's not right for you. But to know about the size well beforehand, then take it back is crazy.

You don't hear athletes complaining because the basketball or football is too big for their hands. Yet, you see some of the biggest athletes with huge hands who have iPhones.

If you can't use this phone with one hand it's probably because you have small hands. I see women handling huge phones all the time. They just use two hands. I say ditch the phone if it's not right for you. But to know about the size well beforehand, then take it back is crazy.

I concur. I often see women with note two and note 3 almost as many women with iPhones. You see the phone and you see the dimensions in the store well before you agree to buy the phone. Then again, that's why they also come out with mini versions. But to each their own though. I personally think this device is all kinds of awesome! The only thing that would have made the device perfect is it had more mega pixels to it, but with that being said, this device is great for me

What's the deal with people not wanting to use two hands with a phone? Everything else in this world is done with two hands..eating, driving, exercising, sports, video games, etc. I fly planes and I have to use two hands. Unless you are texting and driving is the only time your second hand isn't available which is very unsafe.

I don't have small hands, I'm 6'2" tall. If I've got a vodka tonic in my left hand, its easier to text my hos with one hand. :D

I'm getting used to the size. Yes I did play around with it in the store before I bought it and gave it a shot thinking like anything else it would just take a little time to get used to. I think what I miss more about my Rezound with extended battery was that the bulge and thickness of the back cover gave my fingertips something to securely grip to, whereas the back of the M8 is smooth.

This is kind of a short sighted opinion.

For me, there are many many times where using a phone one handed is convenient. Especially being a parent who often times is carrying a little one around or simply carrying anything in my other hand. Phones are a tool to help improve the quality of your daily life. One handed operation is a feature that supports this.

Phones this size make it difficult to operate one handed but that's a trade off of the bigger screen. Personally, I'm ok with this tradeoff (plus I have larger hands)

I love the phone and my major issues are Android related (coming back from an iPhone) not device specific.

That being said, I'm keeping it.

I just got my M8 two days ago. Just came off of a Galaxy Note 2, so the M8 feels so tiny and light.
So far, the phone feels pretty comfortable but because I'm coming off such a huge phone, I'm scared I'm gonna drop it. Still using 2 hands, but one to swipe, and the other is behind the phone, kind of cradling it. Doesn't feel slippery at all, but I have a Spigen hybrid on the way along with a Glas tr. Should be delivered by next week.

The phone is almost perfect size for me. If they could make it shorter to have the height of the older m7, it would be perfect. The width is just right.

This is kind of a short sighted opinion.

For me, there are many many times where using a phone one handed is convenient. Especially being a parent who often times is carrying a little one around or simply carrying anything in my other hand. Phones are a tool to help improve the quality of your daily life. One handed operation is a feature that supports this.

Phones this size make it difficult to operate one handed but that's a trade off of the bigger screen. Personally, I'm ok with this tradeoff (plus I have larger hands)

I love the phone and my major issues are Android related (coming back from an iPhone) not device specific.

That being said, I'm keeping it.

Don't you think it's dangerous to be handling a kid with one hand a phone in the other? The functions of a phone help to improve daily life, not whether you can or can't hold it in one hand.

Seriously if I can use a 10 inch ipad one handed I'm sure you can figure it out. And yes I wrote this upright with my index finger.

I agree with you where you say to check the size of the phone before buying. I'm always amazed that there are people who order phones without having handled them first (not suggesting that any member in this thread did, but people do).

Personally I do use my phone in one hand while using the other for something else (not driving - in my opinion anyone texting and driving should lose their licence automatically). Different people have their own requirements, and telling people they should change to suit the device is IMO wrong, which is why I do disagree with you saying "you should use it two-handed" and "what's with people wanting to use it one-handed". But for this reason I would never buy a device without checking handling first, and have rejected many phones over this.

P.S. As for your big-handed athletes, if they want iPhones they've not so far had a choice of sizes.

Back
Top Bottom