• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone successfully tethered with L70 on MetroPCS?

TJayDroid

Dec 7, 2012
Has anyone been able to tether with this phone on MetroPCS? I use a third-party app (PDANet+) and I've been tethering without restriction for ages. I tether a tablet to it all the time, mostly for Ingress play. I want to get this phone, but not sure if I'd lose this ability. Anyone?

1click wifi tether no root has been working pretty good for me. only get restriction messages on the pc's not other phones, other androids or home media and the allowed devices setting for MAC addresses is actually work even though it still shows open.

Thanks for the info. Very good to know. Just received the L70 myself, so I'm going to experiment later tonight.

Upvote 0
Doesn't the 40$ plan limit your data use? I have the 60$ unlimited plan but made it a family plan shared with the misses and so it is 55$ I have not paid the extra 5$ for the hotspot feature. I do use foxfi without any problems. The free version only let's you use 20mb then cuts off but the unlocked version of course fixes that.

I have a question for those of you who have been using this for quite sometime. Does metro catch on to this? when I use foxfi I can see the wifi hotspot that metro or lg put in the phone opened along with the foxfi app. Both are in the top menu bar. I find myself using gbs of data at a time when connected. Wondering if your wifi app also 1 opens the hotspot app the phone itself has and 2 if so metro has said anything. I only used it a couple times having my own wifi at the house but now I will find myself using it more as the house wifi is acting up.

Upvote 0
It only gives me 500MBs of 4G data, it then throttles me down to 3G. I still get unlimited data, just not unlimited 4G.
Again, I've been on Virgin Mobile's 3G plan for over 3 years and would get throttled down to 2G.

Basically I get unlimited 3G with Metro PCSs $40.00 plan, with the addition of getting the first 500MB at 4G speed.
I can live with that all month long, no problems.

Upvote 0
Hey can someone please help.. ok so on the 21 Metro is making it possible to tether on the $60 a month plan but for only 2.5 gigs a months... can someone please walk me through getting past this step by step... i also have the L70..... you can respond to me on here or an app called Kik my user name is AngelAngelov... please help me out

Upvote 0
Tethering is up to the carrier, not the phone. If the phone doesn't have native tethering ability, there are many apps (plenty of them free) that will allow you to wifi or USB tether.

I tethered my computer to the l70 the first time I enabled it. After that it stopped working, after phoning home to metropcs. If I could figure out which server the built in hotspot app connects to, then I could add it to the hosts file.

Upvote 0
Yes. All I had to do was root using towelroot apk, and install WiFi tether apk and run it. I didn't try changing any of the WiFi tether settings though. And you need user switching agent on chrome browser and set it to internet explorer 9. Yes I am on the $60 unlimited plan.

This method works perfectly thank you so much. Every other method I tried just gave me the t-mobile page.

Upvote 0
So I found this using the app More Shortcuts:
d3acef895feabe188bc6fa1819b4d9cc.jpg

Can we do anything with this that allows native tethering without all these gimmick's?
-Edit-
Also was able to get to this, if it helps at all:
be8e69b4f0a838e6367cda0ecb6ca8cc.jpg

Reactions: Nintendo1889
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones