• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

APN lock on phone

darcwolf

I just switched to straight talk from tmobile, I purchased a tmobile sim card from straight talk. Popped it in ported my number and phone service works.

I put in the apn settings on the phone and its saved, but after about 10 seconds it goes back to the tmobile apn.

It sounds like Tmobile locked the settings on the phone so I cant use another carrier. Is there a way to delete the old tmobile settings, like a factory reset. Or would I have to root the phone?

Also for the tmobile apn there is a lock next to it.

Thanks for the help.

Would t-mobile be willing to give you a unlock code? (I'm not too familiar with them, i'm sorry)

It'd still be worth a try. The laws are confusing, but unless you have an outstanding balance with them, my guess is you can get it unlocked by being persistent.

I currently have a 200 dollar ETF with them Im fighting, going through the BBB.

Yeah, maybe not then... hmm... hopefully someone will pop in here soon with ideas on how to get it unlocked without going through the carriers... I'm guessing that root and/or flashing will have to happen though.

The problem is no any APN lock, when adding the New APN settings check the value of the APN Type, this value at least should be APN Type: default.
You have to assign the new APN as the default, if not the phone will change to the next APN setting that was the default.

For an android phone,
Check the APN Settings for Straight Talk and look what is the complete value for APN Type, in addition of "default".

For example I am with Simple Mobile and hrer are the APN settings:
SIMPLE Mobile | Phone Programming Guides & MMS Settings
You can get the HTC update on the One S with no problem, the APN "lock" or change solution is very simple.

I got the update and for setting the new APN for simple mobile use the instructions from the Simple Mobile Support Page, click: phone programming, then use the Android 4.0 & 4.1 instructions.

The problem is that on the Approved phone programming page they forgot an important information that is on the other programming page.

SOLUTION:
In the step 6 you have to write the APN Type: default,supl,mms,admin

If this part is left blank, the phone will not set this new APN as default.
You have to set a new default for the APN
If the APN TYPE is left blank the phone will go to the default that is one of the T-Mobile locked APNs.

There is no problem with the update or the phone you should “tell” the phone that you want to make the new APN Simple Mobile settings the default and that instruction is the APN Type: default,supl,mms,admin

Back
Top Bottom