• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root App installation/availability problems

wynn55

Jan 6, 2011
I've been having problems recently with apps on my Ally. Whenever I try to install an app, I get a message that says "Unable to install on USB or external storage" and the app doesn't install. Also, some dont show up on my launcher at all, but they're definitely installed. What's going on with this?

I cant offer much help on the first part. Dont know why they arent installing. Sound like theyre trying to install to the sd card but it not mounted.

But the ones not showing up in your launcher, are they LWPs or launcher themes? Not ALL apps will show in the drawer. But if theyre supposed to be there, are you using another launcher? Maybe adw with a custom catalog? Or launcher pro and hiding them?

Upvote 0
Connect to pc, get into android secure folder and remove 'smdl2tmp1.asec' file. Somebody else told me about it and it worked for me.:cool:
Or you can just move each app you have to update back to internal, update and move back to sd. I found that to be a pain though!

I have too many apps installed for them to fit on my internal storage, ha ha. I'll try deleting said file next time I have access to a computer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones