• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Approach for Moto Display Stopped Working

SMWAS

I decided to put this in its own thread.

My Moto "Approach for Moto Display" is not working. I have tried several reboots and clearing the cache. I have unchecked and checked the box several times.

The "Moto Display" for notifications may not be working (it is impossible for me to tell as the display won't come up in the first place).

Any thoughts? I saw a thread earlier in which some of you were talking about multiple sensors on the phone, so I can't imagine they would have all gone out.

Hi Thom,

I do have a screen protector that the folks at the Verizon store installed. I have had that since the beginning, however, and have had no issues until now. It does not appear to cover any of the sensors (I wondered at first why it did not go all the way to the bottom of the screen until I read there are sensors at the bottom of the screen as well.)

Motorola Voice responds, as does Motorola Assist. The "Twist for Quick Capture" also still works.

The kicker is that the "Wave to silence" also works, so I am wondering if either that feature uses a different sensor or if the infrared sensors are somehow not being engaged while the screen is off, but do get engaged when something active happens like the phone ringing.

Interestingly enough, I just came across a post in the Moto X forum on Reddit in which someone had the same problem 5 months ago. He claims he fixed it by re-installing Moto Actions. I may be a bit slow, but how does one re-install a system program like this on a non-root phone?

Perhaps an app you added disabled the proximity sensor.

Try running in safe mode. If it works there then it is caused by an app that you added.

... Thom

I tried that a little bit ago, and no dice. Any idea how I could force a re-install of Mortola Actions?

Last edited:
Thanks, Thom. I did as you suggested and the upper left corner sensor is indeed working. For the heck of it, I installed an app called "Proximity Actions" which allows for certain things to happen upon waiving, and that program works at least using that top right corner sensor. So I guess it is just a software program or the Moto program utilizes a different sensor. Take a look at this guy's post on the topic:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/mo...nybody-moto-actions-not-working-approach.html

I really wish there was a way I could just re-install the Moto programs to see if those were just corrupted. I think all of us have had to do that would third-party apps; it would be nice if a similar option were available for native programs.

I decided to put this in its own thread.
I saw in another thread that your phone overheated. Do you think perhaps the sensors went bad when the phone overheated?

I hate to suggest it, because it's such a drastic step, but I'd think about a factory reset to see if the problem recurs after the phone is wiped. I suppose, however, that restarting in safe mode and doing a wipe of the cache partition from recovery wouldn't hurt.

Yeah, I am probably going to do the dreaded factory data reset this weekend when I have time to back everything up (other than the stuff like game progresses that I can't back up). The main upper left corner sensor is definitely still working, because I can use it with other apps. However, I do worry that maybe something happened to one or more of the bottom sensors; maybe if they aren't working, the phone thinks it is either face-down or in a pocket. Unfortunately, I already tried a cache wipe and running in safe mode.

This brings up a big pet peeve of mine. When folks post that they have a problem, they really should post what the solution was, even if the solution was doing a FDR or having to get a new phone. I found 5 or 6 posts or comments in various forums in which the posters were having the exact same issue, and other than one guy saying he fixed it by reinstalling Moto Actions (I assume his phone must be rooted, because there is no way that I know of for me to do that), none of the other people asking about it ever followed up with how they resolved it (although perhaps none of them ever did solve it and just lived with it).

FYI, after trying numerous things suggested by Verizon, I finally ended up having to do a factory data rest. That really blows, but at least everything seems to be working fine now. Thanks everyone who tried to help.

Back
Top Bottom