• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps connected to charger

Shelly West

I have a V40 thinQ. I have explored all the apps especially the system apps. I am letting my friend use my V40 right now until she gets a new phone. I was looking at my settings in the V40 yesterday trying to figure out how she deleted all my contacts and I noticed a new app that wasn’t there before. I have tried to look it up in the App Store and online but cannot find it anywhere. I asked it she made the app and she got all defensive. Can anyone tell me if you know what this app is or if she indeed made this app and added it to my phone’s system apps? It’s called Colors. I uploaded a picture of it below. Thank you!
Shelly

Attachments

• DFA0282F-2E9E-419C-8555-A1CC324E6193.jpeg
    DFA0282F-2E9E-419C-8555-A1CC324E6193.jpeg
    363.3 KB · Views: 168
She could not add an app as a system app unless she rooted the phone. So you could install a root checker app and see whether that's been done (I can think of other things I'd check, such as whether it has the stock recovery or whether the bootloader has been unlocked, but that's the simplest. She'd have needed time and a computer to do this, by the way).

I should add that I'm not familiar with the V40 so have no idea whether that is a standard app or not (may also depend on the carrier if you bought it through them). The defensiveness might be because she knows that she's been digging around in the phone, fiddling with it and screwed up (e.g. deleting your contacts - it might not be specifically related to that app.

One legit way that an app can be added to the system is via a system update.

She could not add an app as a system app unless she rooted the phone. So you could install a root checker app and see whether that's been done (I can think of other things I'd check, such as whether it has the stock recovery or whether the bootloader has been unlocked, but that's the simplest. She'd have needed time and a computer to do this, by the way).

I should add that I'm not familiar with the V40 so have no idea whether that is a standard app or not (may also depend on the carrier if you bought it through them). The defensiveness might be because she knows that she's been digging around in the phone, fiddling with it and screwed up (e.g. deleting your contacts - it might not be specifically related to that app.

One legit way that an app can be added to the system is via a system update.

Thank you for your reply. If you don’t mind, can you explain the stock recovery and the boot loader to me. I know what the boot loader is but I am no expert. I am not familiar with stock recovery though.

And can a phone be rooted and have software that can and will hide that detail from the other apps designed to check for that?

Also if the apps info doesn’t say it came from the Google play store and only has a version number, doesn’t that indicate that it is a system app? Again thank you for your help!

Shelly

The bootloader is just that: a small program that runs at boot time and controls boot modes (normally a phone boots straight into android, but it can boot in a special "safe mode" of android, or into recovery, or into the bootloader itself). The bootloader also has a special mode called "fastboot mode" or "download mode" which can be used for erasing or flashing partitions of the system (via instructions from a computer over usb). Normally it is locked to prevent the user doing this, so you need to unlock if you wish to use this to modify the phone. Some phones make this straightforward, others do their best to make it impossible. I don't know LGs, though it may also depend on who you bought the phone from (e.g. Verizon in the US lock their phones down extremely hard). This is though the most standard way of rooting a phone: unlock, replace the stock recovery module with a customised one, then use that to patch the Android OS.

"Recovery" is a small program, independent of android, which can be used to fix the phone if it is unable to boot into android. The stock version has limited abilities: it can do a factory reset, it can install official signed firmware, but not a lot else. Modders use customised replacements for this ("custom recoveries"), which can do other things like back up the ROM, allow you to use ADB (which otherwise requires the phone to be running Android with USB debugging enabled), and to flash unsigned software (such as the patches used to root a phone, or an alternative, unofficial ROM). These custom recoveries also look totally different from the stock ones, so it's easy to tell just by booting the phone into recovery mode (boot into the bootloader, which will mean pressing some buttons while rebooting, then select recovery from the menu).

There are mods to hide the root status from most root checking apps. I'm not up to speed with the current state of these.

An app that doesn't say it was installed from the Play Store doesn't have to be a system app. All that means is that it was not installed from the Play Store. In fact system apps might well show as having been installed from the Play Store themselves (e.g. if they've ever had an update). If it says it was installed by "package installer" then it means it was installed manually from an apk file that wasn't downloaded from Play. Only if it says nothing at all about the source would I suspect that it might have been installed directly to the system via recovery - or genuinely pre-installed by the manufacturer, of course.

The bootloader is just that: a small program that runs at boot time and controls boot modes (normally a phone boots straight into android, but it can boot in a special "safe mode" of android, or into recovery, or into the bootloader itself). The bootloader also has a special mode called "fastboot mode" or "download mode" which can be used for erasing or flashing partitions of the system (via instructions from a computer over usb). Normally it is locked to prevent the user doing this, so you need to unlock if you wish to use this to modify the phone. Some phones make this straightforward, others do their best to make it impossible. I don't know LGs, though it may also depend on who you bought the phone from (e.g. Verizon in the US lock their phones down extremely hard). This is though the most standard way of rooting a phone: unlock, replace the stock recovery module with a customised one, then use that to patch the Android OS.

"Recovery" is a small program, independent of android, which can be used to fix the phone if it is unable to boot into android. The stock version has limited abilities: it can do a factory reset, it can install official signed firmware, but not a lot else. Modders use customised replacements for this ("custom recoveries"), which can do other things like back up the ROM, allow you to use ADB (which otherwise requires the phone to be running Android with USB debugging enabled), and to flash unsigned software (such as the patches used to root a phone, or an alternative, unofficial ROM). These custom recoveries also look totally different from the stock ones, so it's easy to tell just by booting the phone into recovery mode (boot into the bootloader, which will mean pressing some buttons while rebooting, then select recovery from the menu).

There are mods to hide the root status from most root checking apps. I'm not up to speed with the current state of these.

An app that doesn't say it was installed from the Play Store doesn't have to be a system app. All that means is that it was not installed from the Play Store. In fact system apps might well show as having been installed from the Play Store themselves (e.g. if they've ever had an update). If it says it was installed by "package installer" then it means it was installed manually from an apk file that wasn't downloaded from Play. Only if it says nothing at all about the source would I suspect that it might have been installed directly to the system via recovery - or genuinely pre-installed by the manufacturer, of course.

The app in question does not say anything about it’s source. It only has a version number. I looked in the Google play store and did a search online and cannot find anything remotely similar.

And I did buy my phones at Verizon.

Also am I a lurker because I have visited this site many times but never joined until now?

Shelly

Attachments

• IMG_1458.jpg
    IMG_1458.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1461.jpg
    IMG_1461.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 137
"Lurker" is just a title that's given until someone has accumulated some number of posts - it doesn't mean very much really.

Yes. that storage manager does look like a system app (the fact that you have the disable option, rather than uninstall, also indicates it was installed to the system). I take it that the Colors app you were asking about is the same?

I'm afraid I don't know LGs very well, so can't say about the Colors app - it could be a pre-installed app from either LG or Verizon for all I know. Can you just disable it? Does it have any particular permissions?

Just for future reference, if you're going to let someone else borrow your phone enable 'Guest mode' before handing it over. Then the borrower is in their own user account, separate from yours.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-use-guest-mode-android-phone/

You referred to having your contacts being deleted, were you able to restore them? Your contacts list should still be intact in whichever online email service you're using.

"Lurker" is just a title that's given until someone has accumulated some number of posts - it doesn't mean very much really.

Yes. that storage manager does look like a system app (the fact that you have the disable option, rather than uninstall, also indicates it was installed to the system). I take it that the Colors app you were asking about is the same?

I'm afraid I don't know LGs very well, so can't say about the Colors app - it could be a pre-installed app from either LG or Verizon for all I know. Can you just disable it? Does it have any particular permissions?

Thank you very much Hadron! Your patience with my ignorance is very much appreciated! And you are very thorough! I’m glad to meet someone nice for a change!

The Colors app has not requested any permissions.

I'm afraid I don't know LGs very well, so can't say about the Colors app - it could be a pre-installed app from either LG or Verizon for all I know. Can you just disable it? Does it have any particular permissions?[/

I have a V40 thinQ. I have explored all the apps especially the system apps. I am letting my friend use my V40 right now until she gets a new phone. I was looking at my settings in the V40 yesterday trying to figure out how she deleted all my contacts and I noticed a new app that wasn’t there before. I have tried to look it up in the App Store and online but cannot find it anywhere. I asked it she made the app and she got all defensive. Can anyone tell me if you know what this app is or if she indeed made this app and added it to my phone’s system apps? It’s called Colors. I uploaded a picture of it below. Thank you!
Shelly

DO ANY OF YOU FEEL LIKE ANSWERING LOTS OF SILLY (probably silly to you cause you are experts) QUESTIONS ABOUT MY NEW IPHONE XS MAX? I don’t have any major problems that need to be fixed but I don’t understand a lot of things and want to learn. I am always exploring the settings and trying to figure out what it all does and means. And yes I do suspect sometimes that I am being hacked but just because I believe that doesn’t mean I am stupid, paranoid, or even wrong! I just think that my ex (who has mad computer skills) and my soon-to-be-ex are monitoring my phone to see who I am talking to. I think they are doing way more than that but I won’t go into all that! If you don’t have the patience for my sillyness then you simply need not reply but if you do reply be forewarned that I ask lots of questions so please do not get annoyed after the fact! I realize it not an Android. Should I join an IPhone forum, you think? I just already like you guys! You’re so nice and informative!

We'll answer as many questions as you can ask. I doubt they are silly, but silly questions can be fun, too. :)

As for being "hacked" in the true sense of the word, Android or iPhone, that's very difficult to do. What we see more of are people whose credentials have been compromised and someone else gets access to their account. Ex'es are notorious for this since they know you better than most and you may have shared your passwords with them at one point or they can guess what your password might be. I'd suggest, for starters, going to your Google account, changing your password and enabling two-step verification. That way if your ex did have access to your Google account, it will stop that and no one but you will be able to change it again.

What are mods? Modules?

I'm afraid I don't know LGs very well, so can't say about the Colors app - it could be a pre-installed app from either LG or Verizon for all I know. Can you just disable it? Does it have any particular permissions?[/

Attachments

• F560B905-C660-4059-A907-92C3DBC6782B.png
    F560B905-C660-4059-A907-92C3DBC6782B.png
    538.1 KB · Views: 134
  • A0FD6511-400E-4518-8D7C-22A28D53A913.png
    A0FD6511-400E-4518-8D7C-22A28D53A913.png
    532.7 KB · Views: 150
  • EEDFADE2-648F-40B2-BBDC-0800496F6FC9.png
    EEDFADE2-648F-40B2-BBDC-0800496F6FC9.png
    539.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 15C74BA0-9F8C-46E6-BAB6-63CC08975004.png
    15C74BA0-9F8C-46E6-BAB6-63CC08975004.png
    546.2 KB · Views: 128
Unfortunately Google shows ALL activity which included a lot of background processes. This all looks normal to me and nothing to worry about. As far as Facebook is concerned, again, it's probably a credential issue more than anything else. Change all your passwords, make them complex and don't use the same password for everything.

These are session updates. Just the first ones made to my Facebook account and the latest ones that I have a record of.

Attachments

• D713E87F-B1CC-45D4-AE95-9B574152182E.png
    D713E87F-B1CC-45D4-AE95-9B574152182E.png
    984.2 KB · Views: 160
  • 7722C7F0-CFF8-4F01-83D2-B45AD363BD80.png
    7722C7F0-CFF8-4F01-83D2-B45AD363BD80.png
    996.9 KB · Views: 140
Okay there’s the kind of answers I have been waiting for! Impatiently: Just change your passwords and the world will return to normal! If you cannot say anything but change your password then don’t reply! CHANGING MY PASSWORD DOES NOT WORK! I am not a stupid person! I am capable of making passwords that no one should be able to guess!

I am wanting someone who is willing to look at my logs and data and see if they can help identify who this is and possibly come up with a solution to stop them. If you don’t want to, SIMPLY do not reply! I thank you for your help but I am sick of being told that changing my password will fix this when I know it will not! I don’t mean to be rude to anyone! I just want someone to have an open mind and realize that yes most people who dig around in their phones and think someone is hacking them are indeed wrong but statically some have got to be right! I am that statistic! I am in that percentage of people who actually are being hacked and yes by hacked I mean my accounts are compromised.

It’s not unheard of for a beautiful woman to have men spying on her!

These are Facebook logins and log outs.

Attachments

• 91228630-074C-4C44-A483-808B3B6F9003.png
    91228630-074C-4C44-A483-808B3B6F9003.png
    781.4 KB · Views: 137
  • DE391BC9-DA3F-4475-B05E-25C1F9066074.png
    DE391BC9-DA3F-4475-B05E-25C1F9066074.png
    756.3 KB · Views: 126
Back
Top Bottom