• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Apps that are safe to remove or freeze

Nintendo1889

Android Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2010
Here's one I've safely disabled:

Calendar (so there's no dual notifications if you install the newer one)

Lookout

Metro block it, 411, metrozone

Services which can be disabled:

WAP service (hopefully will block updates)

Weather services

Apps that are known to not be safe to remove or freeze:

Google play newsstand and movies (amazingly, these could be frozen on the l70 with no trouble, on the Leon it will cause your phone to forget all of your Gmail accounts as if you just started using the phone!)

I am curious if I can remove Gmail and install an older version (and integrate it into the system) because this version is awfully slow. I am guessing that I can't do this because with lollipop the exchange activesync services are supposedly now linked to the Gmail app (although I have not been able to add an office 365 account to the Gmail app, I can only add it to the classic email app). Gmail is the slowest app on this phone, four accounts and I'm only syncing thirty days and I don't automatically download attachments.

Last edited:
Reactions: ModifHigher

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones