• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Archived KeyBank App

Soapm

Jul 22, 2015
Anyone know where I can get an archived version of the KeyBank banking app? The new app won't fun on my device because the OS is old but it used to work fine until this last update. I want to see if the previous version might still work for me. I can't afford a newer phone so what I have is what I have.

Well obtaining the source code for a proprietary, close-source that all the banks must rely upon for their own apps will be a very involved task (and a legal violation). So approach that option with a lot of forethought.

Keep in mind that when you use old, out-dated banking app that does increase your exposure to otherwise unwanted eyeballs to your banking activity. Not likely but you are intentionally increasing your risk (we all need to focus on decreasing that risk). And this might also be a matter where Key Bank is upgrading their own online servers, that do limit the functionality of their outdated apps but work seamlessly with current version apps. Just be wary if you do find a source for an out-of-date version.

Instead of their banking app, what about using a web browser app to log into your account at Key Bank's web site?

Upvote 0
Instead of their banking app, what about using a web browser app to log into your account at Key Bank's web site?

That's what I've been having to do, use my browser. All I ever do is check my balance and make sure things cleared so I didn't look at it the way you put it, so thanks for that. I was just thinking they required a newer OS which I can't afford at the time.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
What phone do you have and which version of Android is it currently running?

According to its Play Store page, the Key Bank app support goes back to Android 9 (Pie)

It's important to keep your web browser app as up to date as possible. Which web browser are you using?
Presumably your phone is older than Pie (2018ish) if their app won't work out for you. Just randomly, the latest version of the Firefox app still supports version 5 (Lollipop) and up, the latest Chrome version supports 7 (Nougat) and up, the latest Brave version also 7 and up.

Upvote 0
I still carry my Blackberry Key2, which is Android 8.1, partly because I like having a physical keyboard but I'm also poor and can't afford most of these new phones. And yes, I use Firefox and not Chrome. But I don't see the point in buying something new when the one I have still works. I was probably one of the last to move to a flat screen TV, because my old 36" hung in there...

Reactions: svim and mikedt
Upvote 0
I still carry my Blackberry Key2, which is Android 8.1, partly because I like having a physical keyboard but I'm also poor and can't afford most of these new phones. And yes, I use Firefox and not Chrome. But I don't see the point in buying something new when the one I have still works. I was probably one of the last to move to a flat screen TV, because my old 36" hung in there...

No problem there. We were still using an ancient Changhong CRT television until 2015.

Upvote 0

A Blackberry still in use, neat. I do miss having a phone with a physical keyboard, I'm still not completely comfortable with the now typical software-driven virtual keyboards.

I'll tell you a secret, the job I had in corporate America started us on Motorola then Blackberry's two way pagers. You do remember pagers before cell phones don't you? Then they gave us 6200's which was my very first cell phone. I haven't owned every model because I keep things until they die, but it's pretty much the only phone I've ever carried.

I tried a touch screen for a solid month and just couldn't live without my keyboard. So I gave that phone to my daughter and we've been together since. I still have my KeyOne but the space bar skips but it's my backup. What's really sad is Blackberry took the HUB and all their apps out of the play store so the island really feels lonely. I was thinking of getting a Titan but I don't know what I'd do without the HUB. I'm spoiled by everything being in one place.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones