• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Are there any real devs left for the evo?

BrianJB

Android Enthusiast
First let me say to the people who still do roms for the evo, this is not to call anyone out or anything crazy like that, its just a real question.

Are there any *true* devs left for the evo?, It seems like since the e3d and other newer devices have dropped many of the great devs have left the evo....myn,mik,virus...etc...

It seems like more and more of the roms I see nowadays are either just stock roms with different themes, or its a port from something else and when it comes to editing framework to get things working (things that dev's can do) the people who are left building roms for our evo's can't seem to get certain things to work, and it seems like if mik or newt drop an update once every 2 months or so, all of the other roms all of a sudden have "working 720p recording"..or things like that, so its obvious they borrow from them, because they don't know how to do it themselves.

Thoughts?

First let me say to the people who still do roms for the evo, this is not to call anyone out or anything crazy like that, its just a real question.

Are there any *true* devs left for the evo?, It seems like since the e3d and other newer devices have dropped many of the great devs have left the evo....myn,mik,virus...etc...

Thoughts?
what? ok yes there is a lull right now but i think everyone is waiting for ICS to be released. this is the same thing that happened right before gingerbread came out. so fear not those devs have not left us. yes mik just got an evo3d, but that does not mean he will stop with the og evo. myn and virus are still around. give it time and once htc and sprint releases the code for ICS officially then you will see a ton of roms come out.

A lot of the devs left for other devices, but they have been portign their work back to the EVO's for us.

Honestly, ROM development is hard to do. I've played around with modifying stock ROMS/Porting and I don't consider that true development either. Just goes to show you, support the real developers we have left. You don't miss them till they're gone.

Once you've made a ROM for a device, there's not much else you can do except possibly make additional ROMs or make little improvements here and there.

It's a bit hard because the Evo is kind of old and HTC and Sprint aren't giving us too many good updates except ones for security for themselves. If you search around, you'll find some good ROMs. If you get bored and want more ROMs, check my signature.

Our devs work very hard, even the themers. It takes time to make these ROMs and work out the bugs. Lots of them also are moving on to other devices or have more devices to manage than just us.

If you'd like to become a developer, you can always Google the stuff you need. It's fairly easy and can be done and most of the stuff is free if you have free time.

Back